Author Topic: Sapwood backed osage recurve attempt...  (Read 15704 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Sapwood backed osage recurve attempt...
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 01:15:59 pm »
Thanks everybody! I actually didn't get around to backing it last night, so my plan is to back it today and get really working on it tomorrow. Thanks for looking yall.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 01:24:28 pm »
Very nice, too many.  I hope it turns out well for you. I've made osage w/o chasing but that was because I had to. Done BL that way too but had no choice there also or just didn't know any better back in the day. When I have a choice I chase. No "soapbox" today. Too much going on in my life at the moment. Just be careful. I hope you are using a rope and pulley. Good work so far. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
Very nice, too many.  I hope it turns out well for you. I've made osage w/o chasing but that was because I had to. Done BL that way too but had no choice there also or just didn't know any better back in the day. When I have a choice I chase. No "soapbox" today. Too much going on in my life at the moment. Just be careful. I hope you are using a rope and pulley. Good work so far. Jawge

Thanks George. I actually don't have a rope and pulley right now, my basement is the only place I have that I could hook something like that up, but right now we are fighting a leaking and mold problem down there. Hopefully we will move by the beginning of next year, and find a place where I can get a pulley system set up. Thank ya for the kind words, hope you are doing well.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »
Thank you, too many. I hope that mold problem is solved. I'm doing ok. Little brother is sick. Keep making bows. Good stress relief. I've even tillered by just raising and drawing  over my head Massey style. A mirror or window at night is good too. Just came in from 3 hours of mowing and weed whacking. That's good for stress too. :) Jawge
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:16:10 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:28 pm »
Thank you, too many. I hope that mold problem is solved. I'm doing ok. Little brother is sick. Keep making bows. Good stress relief. I've even tillered by just raising and drawing  over my head Massey style. A mirror or widow at night is good too. Just came in from 3 hours of mowing and weed whacking. That's good for stress too. :) Jawge

I hear that. In fact I can relate a bit. Our cat, my fiance's oldest cat, has something called a rodent ulcer on the top of his mouth, right by an artery. It has been bleeding so bad that he has been vomiting blood. Blood has been dropping out of his mouth so much it looks like tarrentino movie. We had to take him to a animal ER over the weekend and spend close to a grand (on a veterinarian credit card) to get him a blood transfusion because he had lost so much blood the vet would not do anything for him without getting one first, as well as cauterize his mouth with a lazer, as well as get one stitch. At first the vet just wanted us to speed 900 dollars for this and that without even addressing the blood that was coming out of his mouth, ( :o) I'm guessing because his mouth was not bleeding at the moment, and she probably just wasn't taking us seriously because of that... Anyway, after all of that, two days later, he is bleeding again. So we are back to square one. My fiance is losing it, she just sits there and wipes blood off his mouth with a towel. We have 600 left on the credit card and don't know exactly what to do. As nothing the vets do seem to work to close this stupid thing. Apparently rodent ulcers aren't even that big of a deal normally... Seems like a little cut in his mouth would be an easy thing to take care of. On another note, I am sold on using a mirror. I will definitely use one to "floor" tiller this bow and get it to brace. I did that on a reflexed longbow recently and man did it work good.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:26 pm »
Hang in there, my friend. Life can be stressful. Hope everything turns out ok.
Set Happens!

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:08 am »
A trick i've learnt with linen is to cut the strip bigger than needed then use a needle and thread to sew it tight on the belly side. Only takes a couple of minutes and you can get the linen nice and stretched on the back. I think linen needs as much stretch taking out of it before it is stuck down.
If I were you I would cut up that credit card before it gets you 'in too deep'. I know it's easy to get attached to animals but maybe it's best to let nature take it's course. We are constantly bombared with nonsense media regarding animals and human traits this in turn allows us to be expolited (credit cards) by people/companies that couldn't care less about animals only money. Anyway best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »
A trick i've learnt with linen is to cut the strip bigger than needed then use a needle and thread to sew it tight on the belly side. Only takes a couple of minutes and you can get the linen nice and stretched on the back. I think linen needs as much stretch taking out of it before it is stuck down.
If I were you I would cut up that credit card before it gets you 'in too deep'. I know it's easy to get attached to animals but maybe it's best to let nature take it's course. We are constantly bombared with nonsense media regarding animals and human traits this in turn allows us to be expolited (credit cards) by people/companies that couldn't care less about animals only money. Anyway best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

I hear that. We were just almost paid off of all debt... so close...  :'(, haha. I absolutely hate owing someone. Thank you for the kind words Mike, I do appreciate it. My power went out last night because of a storm so I didn't get a chance to back it, but I did it this morning. I think there is definitely a chance, however much I don't wanna think about it, that I could have fatal problems with alignment with this bow, as this is a funky stave sorta. Most of it is my fault though probably, the way I roughed it out and the way I went about it. First I am hoping all is well with alignment. And if alignment is off too much to get a bow with the static recurves, then I am hoping I can pike the recurves a bit and at least get a bow with smaller recurves/flipped tips.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »
lookin good!! love them curves!
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 02:44:21 pm »
lookin good!! love them curves!

Thank ya!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 06:43:49 pm »
Here is some (way too much) tillering on the longstring. Bout ready to brace and find out if the alignment will be stable... (please ignore the ridiculous faces,  ;D I was trying to look at the tiller in the mirror in front of me... ). It is feeling about 40#'s unfortunately, the reflex is kicking my butt at making goal weight... Also, I think I am a bit out of practice...

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:49:34 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »
First brace at 5 3/4":

Alignment looks good, the bow is stable. (yay!):

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 08:04:16 pm »
Real pretty shape on that one. I can't wait to see it all finished up!! :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »
That's looking very good. Looking forward to seeing it at full draw.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Weylin

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 04:37:28 am »
nice tiller so far.  8)