Author Topic: Lab Puppy, Fire Ants and a Careless Vet... Not Safe for Dinner Time Reading!!!  (Read 13589 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Man Darwin... that is Not good at all.
At this point I'm still a little too excited to go and talk with the odd individuals at the ER Vet.
I'll give it another month then take legal action.

I hear ya Tracy, the other pup I named "Orion's Trapezium" on paper, as my oldest Son's name is Orion.
We call this pup Trapper and he is Orion's favorite...
He is one of the darker chocolate pups with a splash of white on his chest.
I figured we would have a harder time finding him a home because of the white mark.
He turning out to be the big dog in the litter... and he is already showing signs of wanting to work... go figure. :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

Was re-reading your description of treatment, especially the part of packing the wounds with table sugar.  This is rapidly becoming a highly respected emergency treatment in field injuries.  The initial research was centered around the use of honey in deep tissue wounds and severe burns.  Now this is a very old home remedy that the medical community eventually forgot about in favor of modern drugs. 

However, it's resurgence lately has been noted and several serious studies were conducted on the subject.  Here's what they say about WHY it works.  Honey (and for that matter any concentrated sugar) is extremely hydrophilic, or simply put, it loooooves water.  It will actually suck water out of nearby cellular structures in order to satisfy it's chemical drive for absorption of water.  Yeah, it kills the cells around the wound, but it also kills bacteria by dehydration, too!  It sterilizes the wound, then the simple carbohydrates begin to migrate thru the live cell walls and directly feed the injured tissues.  In deep tissue wounds and burns oftentimes blood supply is compromised, and tissue death results.  The simple carbohydrates help keep that tissue alive and healing faster. 

So, I keep a handful of sugar packets in a ziplock baggie in whatever daypack I carry when hunting or wandering the woods.  All else fails, I can eat'em too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

Much respect to you Gus for fighting to save this little guys life.  Good luck on the keeper decision.  I have a feeling you have a connection and bond with the little guy that will be hard to end.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

God job Gus, most would have put that dog down. All the care you did with him will leave an inprint and he will likely make a fine family dog.

kurogane_84

Poor lil Zed, hes a trooper i tell yah, i hate to see an animal in pain, i cried when i had to put my dog down after she saved me from a rabid fox, i never even knew was there, it just goes to show you we are just one of the strongest species in the world, our best friends can be just as tough if not tougher

Offline LivingElemental

• Appalachi/Wataugi/East Tennessee
I'da popped that vet it the mouth. Glad to hear he's recovering well. I had a cat that lived outside when I was a kid that was a Hell of a fighter. Doctored him up a dozen times before he met his match one day and never came home.
Alzamaal illi yadour 'ala qurnayn fakhira, yarja' idhana maqtu'a.

Offline Gus

I hear ya Kurogane...
He has Plenty of Heart.
And he's begun his training officially as of Friday.
I brought in one of the Kongs in from the puppies out back and Zed is fetching that thing all over the kitchen and in the yard when I kennel up the rest of the Wild Bunch
and take him out.

LivingElemental, I feel ya, and in years gone by I would have done the same.
Which is not to say the desire has gone, quite the contrary.
The problem is that I can't afford to hand out that kind of life lesson in these days of Lawyers and Lawsuits...   :o

So we finally figured out who is staying.
I asked Orion which Pup he would rather keep.
Being three, he told me straight up with no hesitation which one he wanted to keep, two times.
The first time he said Zed.
The Second time he said Trapper.
So we are going to hang on to both pups... which surprisingly, is not too suprising at all.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline agd68

Wow, I realy dont know what to say. You and your family deserve more credit than I can express for what you did for the little guy. There is no better dog than a lab IMO and I admit I misted up a little at those pics.
I am glad to hear you decided to keep him. Many folks would have given up on him and put him down. Dont think for a minute that little guy does'nt know what you did for him. I think you will find you will never have another dog with as strong a bond with you than this one.
That's not sentamentalism, it's Zoology. All that special one on one care and attention will cause you to be imprinted on him.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline vinemaplebows

I mean this in a very "tongue in cheek" way :laugh:....I think what you have done is great....been there before with other animals......that being said, every time I step to the plate like you did, seems like that very animal becomes the biggest pain in the butt ungratefull critter I have of the lot. I always end up saying.....and why did I save you! :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Gus that poor puppy. Good man to nurse him back... Ducky duck duck of those ants..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Gus

Still got a bunch of pups available...
If anyone is in the market for a Chocolate Lab, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse...   >:D

Free to a Good Home, I'll find a way to get a puppy to you if you are interested.

Please don't make me pull out the January, 1973 National Lampoon Dog Cover Photo...

:)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

I only wish, Gus, I only wish.  Fourteen months since I lost Scully and I am still not ready. 

Hows Zed doing?  Got some follow up pics of the li'l bugger?

Offline Gus

I hear ya JW...
I've been there, and don't envy you your position.

Zed is dong Good.
He is getting hard to pick out in the crowed.
His hair is growing back in and he's looking like a Puppy again.
And he's back outside with the rest of the Mob... Back to being a Puppy.

:)

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

Thanks, Gus.  Does my heart good to hear he's back in the pack!