Author Topic: Bow performance.... curious  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Holten101

Re: Bow performance.... curious
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »
You and I like the same type of bows.  A nice, smooth flatbow. If I get more than 1" of set I know I can do better, regardless of how much reflex I started with.  I still have bows that follow the string a inch or less that shoot lights out. However I like my string to be SUPER taught at brace. Thats my personal guage. You can tell alot by plucking a bows string.

Thats my gauge too.

cheers

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »
Ever notice how tight a properly built 45# bow's string can be? I love that!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »
Yeah...nothing beats the "twang" of a zero set bow (no matter what the dw is) with perfect limb timing:-)

I go by the twang, and borrow a chrono occationally....hight brace tension allmost allways = decent to good arrow speed (variables taken into account ofc).

Cheers

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 03:27:31 pm »
If you go by pure kinetic energy to determine if anything will kill humanely, you will be forced to concede that no bow can kill.  Only Ultra-Mag depleted uranium heat seeking slugs from a CIA operated drone will do the trick. 

Funny, when flintlocks came out the deer suddenly stopped dying from arrows.  And when caplocks came out, same for the flinters.  And on and on until today.  Eventually, deer will stop dying from car strikes when we all have our Tim Wilson Jetpacks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 04:29:33 pm »
 Yep, if you have a tight string at brace and your outer limbs are at least reasonably narrow the bow will perform well.

Offline dbb

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »
JW thats why i posted it,even if i dont hunt myself due to silly legislation i have seen and read enough to think that the setup with an arrow at 550-600 grain at speeds of around 170fps is what many use.
But if Easton say no go...We all may have to do like Billy....Can someone pass me the dragonfly drumsticks please. :P

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 02:31:45 am »
Yep, if you have a tight string at brace and your outer limbs are at least reasonably narrow the bow will perform well.

I always like the way you simplify things.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 06:41:21 am »
agree Hedge. Thats how I judge them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good