Author Topic: Stupid accident  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Little John

Stupid accident
« on: September 15, 2007, 12:01:47 am »
 I was touching up my hunting arrows and getting packed to leave for the mountains tonight and hunt the weekend. I guess it was sharp as I cut my index finger pad to the bone. Hpoe I can shoot tomorrow. I learned my leason, always wear gloves when sharpening.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stupid accident
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 12:08:42 am »
Sorry to hear that. Is it your string hand?  When I got in my tree stand last weekend I was brushing the loose scaly bark off of the pine I was in and it sliced my bird finger where the string goes across it. I had a blood trail before I ever saw a deer. ;D
  Hope it heals soon. Don't be pulling a Pat on yourself! ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 12:33:20 am »
Yes drawing hand and right where the string lays. Definatly a blood trail.   I about cut my thumb off when I was a kid, doing the same thing. I guess I thought I was more talented now days.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:37:21 am »
Lj, if something can go wrong, it will. I remember telling myself over and over before hunting trips, "Don't do anything stupid". Didn't always work but what the heck. Use a lot of CA and butterfly bandaids and a good string wrap around the wound. Good luck.

Dick

Loogster

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:59:14 pm »
I managed to slice my index finger about an inch with a pair of elemtary school safety scissors  ;D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 11:09:14 pm »
I need to get the guards back on that table saw ;D, nope have been lucky - no blood trails from me lately.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

perry

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:28:46 am »
   A clever fella I knew years ago was wiping the blood of his arrow after removing it from a kill and ran the palm of his hand over the still razor sharp broadhead . Another clever bloke just finished sharpening his broad heads for an upcoming hunt walking out to put the arrows away bumped them on a door jam and drove one into his groin , severed his femoral artery . A visitng mate held the damage artery until the ambulance arrived . Scary things sharp arrows - regards Perry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:59:53 am »
I seem to do something like that every year just about opening week,been lucky so far this year
but there is still 5 days so I better watch out. :) Hope it heals quick Little John and good luck
with the season. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 10:06:32 am »
I know all about murphy and blood,just recently started taking a small first aid kit with me when hunting, including super glue. Better to have and not need! Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

jamie

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 10:26:19 am »
ouch , that sucks. like the others said your not alone. i broke my drawing hand in 4 places 2 yrs back before season opened. like an idiot i still took the occassional shot to stay tuned up. hunted too. my loose sucks now because my hand is still screwed up. fingers seem to open up at different times.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:01:12 pm »
I've come close to cutting myself on the broadhead end of a broken arrow when field-dressing a deer. Something everyone should be careful about... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 11:55:30 pm »
 I super glued it then bandaged and the bandage even fit into my shooting glove, suprisengly I even shot well with little pain, only took a couple of shots to know I could do it, they flew true so good enough. I had one near miss last winter by falling down with a broadhead arrow on the string, I felt it touch my neck, now I dont stalk or still hunt with an arrow on the string, till it is time. Be careful ever one.   Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:24:54 am »
How was your weekend hunt, Kenneth?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC