Author Topic: Bamboo bow  (Read 11977 times)

Offline markinengland

Bamboo bow
« on: September 15, 2007, 07:50:59 pm »
Right now I'm working on a simple little self bamboo bow. Only about 56" long and 2" wide at the "handle". I have heat treated or tempered the belly (the outer surface of the bamboo) and induced some 4 inches of reflex. I am still in the tillering phase but I'm impressed with the basic power. I reckon I may end up with 55lbs at between 26 to 28 inches of draw. I'll see if I can take and show some pics tomorrow.
I've made a string and can't wait to shoot it!
Mark in England

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Bamboo bow
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:43:28 pm »
Can't wait for pic's.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Harrifer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:38:05 am »
ARGH! I've been going out of my mind to find some bamboo in England large enough to use as backing. Where did you get it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 12:23:36 pm »
Looking forward to this bow, Mark. I've thought for a long time about an all boo bow. Hurry with the pics. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 06:36:04 am »
Sounds good ,love to see the pictures.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 04:54:08 pm »
I got waylaid by house husband chores on Sunday. Dashing around getting things in shape for the return of the wife. My and my three sons seems to make a lot of mess in very little time. We did have a good barby, cards, roulette and drnking game the night before though.
I'll take some flash photgraphy pics tonight and download them.
The bow still needs a lot of tillering on one limb (the thicker limb).
Harrifer, I got my bamboo from Bamboom. I got some very nice large bamboo poles from them for a reasonable price. I picked up a whole load and shared it with some bow making friends. Bamboom can be found at Bamboom, Pondwood Farm, Pondwood Lane, White Waltham, Berkshire, SL6 3SS, United Kingdom T: 01189345299 E: info@bamboom.co.uk They have a minimum quantity order of three large poles.
Photos to follow.
Mark

Beleg813

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:46:12 pm »
That's a very fine bow, Mark :) And, from what little I've seen quite unique as well! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 11:39:55 pm »
Mark, I was just curious if you had any further plans for the handle area.

Far East Archer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 05:36:21 am »
Cool bow mark. I must try this again but this time with the rind as the belly like you did. How does it shoot? What kind of distance are you getting with this bow?

-Alex

Rich Saffold

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 09:54:32 pm »
Wow! a "real" ;)bamboo bow ;D. Thanks for posting Mark! I'm quite sure its a very sweet shooter..Impressive cd collection too!
Rich

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 10:02:16 pm »
                        Now, now Rich behave yerself hard as it may be !  >:D very nice bow Mark...............bob

Offline snedeker

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 11:11:50 am »
that's an interestingn project Mark.  I wouldn't of thought of wide and short like that for boo.  Looks great. 

What kind of CDs are they?  I'm a heavy rock man myself - Tool, etc.

there wouldn't be any placed to stop at on the way to Pondwood Lane where they hace some of that bitters on draft, would there?  I like that.

Dave

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 01:01:31 pm »
Nice looking project Marc. I sure would like to see more pictures.  ;D Did you pre tiller it or just tiller the sides?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline gpw

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 03:42:06 pm »
Gentlemen, since we're talking bamboo bows , a friend gave me a piece of bamboo flooring material , 3/4'' x6"x8'... edge grained slats glued together...seemed just right for cutting into a simple d bow.. think this might work ?

Disclaimer:  Sorry!!! It is not exactly a Primitive material  ::)