Author Topic: This dogwood sure is cool  (Read 9108 times)

Offline iowabow

This dogwood sure is cool
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »
I stripped and bundled a set of shafts to dry before I left for the Grand Canyon. I had a chance this afternoon to work one up and I really like working with the dogwood. It is about 100 grains heavier than my redwood shafts. Here are a couple pictures.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: This dogwood sure is cool
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:17:22 pm »
nice looking shaft! i am a big fan of dogwood as well, how heavy is it?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:44 pm »
nice looking shaft! i am a big fan of dogwood as well, how heavy is it?

It is about 600 but will be about 580 without point. I will be shooting a 700 grain arrow while hunting from a 60# bow.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »
yea,  I bet you're happy finding that there wood in your side yard, huh?  Looks like you're workin it right.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:08 am »
Wow John, you got that one straight! Sounds like a nice arrow weight to hunt with.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:33 am »
Nice work John. I love shoot arrows, just knowing I can make a very good arrow with stuff I find in the woods. Red osier makes very good arrows. I have made a few in the past and have a nice bundle that was given to me that I plan to work on this fall.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:01 am »
Right right Pat just walk out, cut, strip, and shape. What could be more satisfying. I was impressed at how well they respond to heat. I pushed out hard kinks from the shoot that I thought would be just part of the charactor. I am thinking of black berry dye that would turn
Purple brown what do you think. I was going to beeswax lightly after fletching.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:49:41 am »
Wow John, you got that one straight! Sounds like a nice arrow weight to hunt with.

Tracy
Yes I think so...I read a post by Will and he took two deer with 700 grain arrows that had maple shafts  I think. He shot that arrow from "Ole Red", so I think I will be ok.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »
John, I like to scorch a design in shoot arrows to break up their outline. Other than that I leave them natural  and just seal.  Blackberry should give you a nice purple color though.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »
I used beeswax on the first arrows i ever made. It made them drag real hard on my leather strike plate. Had a heck of a time getting the wax all removed.
Steve Bennett

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »
Thank you for that info wow! Also made a big mistake.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:55 pm »
Nice job on that dogwood John.I was at a 3D shoot the other day and a wheely bow shooter was with us.Of course he was shooting the latest carbide fashion.I mentioned to him that I usually have about an hour into each one of my arrows.He just looked dumfounded or maybe he was trying to pick his jaw up off the ground.They really don't get it you know.Archery is supposed to be fun.Not always perfect but still fun.If he missed he would grumble & walk off to himself and meditate I guess.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:35 pm »
Oh I forgot I did get him to stump shoot a couple of times at about 60 yards or so and the whole mood changed and we had fun.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:25:37 pm »
Lol I hear ya beadman. It might seem weird but I keep picking up that shaft and looking at it with wonder. I cant wait to shot it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »
John, be sure to find the stiff side of that shaft. The stiff side will go against the bow.  ;)