Author Topic: Elk hoof shoes  (Read 17186 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Elk hoof shoes
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 05:09:51 pm »
What, hooves? I doubt it.
Glue cannot be made from hooves or horns.
Horn can make a bow.
Antler and bone can also make bows, but they must be HEAVILY sinew backed- one bow that someone made had a 60-40 sinew-antler ratio- the sinew is the 60.

Maybe make tips from hooves.
I think the composition is similar to horn, but it is harder? I am not sure.
hooves are probably just too small.

???
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »
No, the crayon and paper....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:41:21 pm »
I have read somewhere that the Catawba Native Americans would wear buffalo hooves to deceive other tribes. I believe it was in a book called "Scouwa" , life of James Smith, taken captive and raised by the native americans.  While tracking a buffalo he was told to be careful because the tracks may be "Catawba" very bad Indian. They continued on and found a pile of buffalo dung and he said "Catawba" no make dung and they relaxed.

The book is a great read and lots of knowledge shared if that's what you are looking for.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 02:41:16 am »
Cool shoes and sounds like a good book.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

JacksonCash

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 11:56:16 am »
Which museum is this in? I grew up near SSM, and went to school at LSSU there. I don't think I made it to this museum while I was there though.

Offline DGF

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »
JC- Not sure of the name of the place. I believe it was in a large lookout tower formerly owned by a church but now owned by the city. Small museum for sure but neat to see while in town.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

JacksonCash

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 04:35:10 pm »
Ha, the Tower of History. I was at a wedding at the church next to it just this June. I've never actually been inside it, was always closed when I attempted. If I recall they were keeping hours directly opposite my class/work schedule.

I actually had an apartment about half a block away from there, and my wife went to school at the church school behind the place. Small world.