Author Topic: leaf id  (Read 5639 times)

jamie

leaf id
« on: September 16, 2007, 09:20:46 am »
anybody know what this is. looks like mulberry but ive never seen the edges so defined ??? come on hillbilly i know you'll know.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:23:17 am by jamie »

DBernier

Re: leaf id
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:16:06 am »
Hey Jamie, it looks like it "might" be paper mulberry. I have a picture of one in my leaf album. Either Pat or Steve will know for sure.

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:15:08 am »
Jamie looks like it's probably either white mulberry or paper mulberry. If the top of the leaves are smooth, it's white. If they're rough and hairy, it's paper mulberry. Both are invasives introduced from Asia. The native red mulberry has leaves that are sandpapery on top, but they're usually not quite that deeply lobed and funky looking.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:21:36 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:18:05 am »
Nice! I've been eyeballing those around here for awhile now in my run off the road not paying attention travels. Was thinking they were some kind of Mullberry - the leaves are course on top, like sandpaper.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:32:34 am »
I'd have to vote for paper mulberry. I had a large one growing in my yard in Savannah. Many different mulberries(even though paper mulberry isn't a true mulberry) were brought to Savannah way back when to see if silk production was feasible in the area. The trees survived, the silk production didn't.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 12:15:56 pm »
  It's a paper mulberry.They grow like weeds down here.I killed the one in my neighbors yard by tunneling a pvc pipe under the fence and pouring a gallon of Roundup down it.It is sorry bow wood.But the bark makes some tough cordage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 02:51:27 pm »
It is paper mulberry. 

Discussion The common and Latin species names both refer to the manufacture in the Orient of paper from the fibrous inner bark. Cloth was made from the bark in the South Pacific and Hawaii. Although seldom produced, the fruit is showy. Paper-mulberry spreads from root sprouts, often forming thickets along roadsides, and is considered an exotic pest plant in much of the East.

enature.com has a field guide that helps you identify trees by their leaves in an elimination type process.  This is all over my yard and driving me nuts the bark is hard to cut like you are sawing through fabric...so if anyone wants to try their hand at making a gown to wear to the oscars or some cordage to hold up their loin clothe give me a hollar and I will send some to you!  ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

jamie

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 04:46:06 pm »
see how easy that works marie ;D