Author Topic: "Went Wrong" -- my newest bow  (Read 11707 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: "Went Wrong" -- my newest bow
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 08:39:27 am »

Ron, all the trouble you had with "Went Wrong" will help you a lot in making your next bow I'm sure. We'll be asking your opinion before you know it!

I've never made a laminated bow, but did you clean off the surfaces with acetone prior to gluing. I'm not sure that's even a proper step, but would think the surface would need to be free of any oils prior to gluing. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 12:15:04 am »
She turned out great, congrats, I hope the meds take care of the lymes disease, it's nasty stuff.
Pat yourself on the back ya did it!
VB

8up

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 12:56:11 am »
Thanks VB

Greg that should have been a step as Ipe is oily. Its not mentioned is the build ups I read but the thought did actually cross my mind. I had not even given it a thought after it was glued up. Thanks for reminding me.

Offline heavybow

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 12:45:51 am »
Nice bow no set nothing wrong with a 90# bow :D marlon

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 01:12:09 am »
yes you should alway degrease with acetone before glue up, that was probally your problem. Looks like it came out nice for you in the long run anyways. Nice shooting on those deer. Hope I get a chance at one soon!  8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

8up

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 01:51:06 am »
Heavybow thanks and your right nothing wrong with a 90# bow I could just short draw it to about 13"  ;D

Ryano I think not degreasing it was part of the problem, I'm thinking that leaving the boo 1/4" in the middle was part of the problem. Next time I will get it to 1/8"