Author Topic: plans for tillering tree or tillering stick  (Read 15751 times)

Beleg813

plans for tillering tree or tillering stick
« on: September 16, 2007, 05:09:18 pm »
Hello again,

I've read a number of posts on tillering sticks and tillering trees. Even though both seem to have pros and cons, it seems the tree seems to be safer. Regardless of which is better, does anyone have any actual plans, i.e. (1 2x4, 3 nails, diagrams, etc.)? I'm not really very "handy" so I need a solid starting point to become more handy. I've seen a lot of very cool pictures of both sticks and trees, just can't find any actual plans!

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: plans for tillering tree or tillering stick
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:10:51 pm »
I don't have any plans bit all you need is some wall space, a shelf, a pulley and some stout line. If you don't have wall space then you can make a portable one that clamps into a woodworker's vice. If you check my site and the  buildalongs you'll see mine.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Beleg813

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:12:03 pm »
Unfortunately, I have no wall space (that I think can put a any sort of contraption other than perhaps a painting on..I'm a renter and it's horrible!). I looked for a portable one, and found some pictures and ideas, but not any plans. Also, sorry to be horribly green, but I don't even know what a woodworker's vice is?

please advise!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:36:05 pm »
Have you got a spot where you can put a post in the ground?  If you do, you can make a tree and use tie downs or clamps to attach it to the post.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Beleg813

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:08:03 pm »
That's a good question. There is some "land" next to the apartments, a thick wooded area, that looks as if it should be off-limits to pedestrians. I remember asking the apartment manager if I could shoot my bow back there, and she almost passed out....so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use that plot of land for bow-making.

Just out of curiousity Justin, what would the plans look like? Perhaps I could anchor the post into the deck without having to slap large nails, etc into it to anchor it?

Thanks!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:24:31 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1637.0.html
Page one has pretty good pictures of Greg's tree.  Page two shows how I just wrapped tie downs around the top and bottom to attach it to a post.  Only the bottom tie down needs to be supper tight since it is taking all the pressure.  The top tie down only keeps the tree from tipping over. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:23 am »
In an article that Gary Davis had in one of the last issues of PA he used a tree branch, at the correct height on the tree, for his tiller tree and a branched stick for a tiller stick.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:30:14 pm »
Welcome Brandon!

A portable tillering tree would allow you to secure it to a post, pole, tree, etc. as Justin mentioned using straps. I think I made mine from a 4X4 approximately 6' long. If you'll look at the pictures Justin posted of mine, you'll see that I narrowed the width of the 4X4 most of its length to allow the bowstring to be positioned directly beneath the bow when the bow is in the saddle of the tillering tree. The saddle is made by cutting approximately a 2X2 inch notch on one end of the 4X4, then securely screwing another piece of wood in front of the notch. This creates the saddle at the top of the tree, the eyebolt and pulley are located at the bottom end of the 4x4. Horizontal lines are drawn to show the distances in inches that the bow is being drawn during tillering. A bow scale to give the draw-weight, rope, handle, and securing straps are all else that is required.

Hopefully if you look at the pictures Justin mentioned, this will all make sense to you. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Beleg813

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 06:22:27 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I do like the portable tillering tree plans the best as I have little to no wall space or space at all for that matter. But, with the portable tillering tree I could "anchor" it somehow to my railing I believe, and if I need a far away look at my tillering I could just come inside from the deck with the blinds open. I'm assuming that a bow scale can be purchased at a local hardware store? That helped out a ton..all the posts did!! I think I'll start up some tillering tree gathering of materials this weekend and put something together!!(damnable work getting in the way of all my fun time!!)

Thanks again guys for all the help!

Beleg813

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 01:58:11 pm »
Just to keep you guys updated...I've bought all the materials I need with the small exception of a scale. About to go get that now. Man, one trip to the hardware store with a list of tools that I've heard from you guys (and a wandering mind) and things get expensive. I also picked up, well what I think, could possibly work as a board for my first bow. Not to get ahead of myself or anything, but since I was in the neighborhood...I kept saying that all this morning. I realized after I put a tool belt into the buggy it was time for me to leave before the entire store was on lay-away.

Once I get all the pieces, before assembly I'll try to post some pictures. That way some individual who is in the same boat as me will get a step-by-step process.

p.s. let's just hope I don't mess it up :)

Beleg813

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 02:33:35 pm »
Well, I did get my 4x4x8..I got my scale and suitable rope, some eyebolts, and other means to hook things together. I even managed to cut out the corner of the 4x4x8 a 2x2 inch cut with a hand saw. It took a bit and I had to doctor it up to make sure it was flat (the part you put the bow on).

I bought a fish weighing scale that went up to 100 lbs hoping that'd be sturdy enough. The project is on hold though till next weekend (when I can spend a bit at the woodworking shop on post). I realized that tapering off my 4x4 by 1 inch (so that the bow string may be pulled straight down) wouldn't be a good idea with a hand saw. Would take forever and I can't guarantee the accuracy of my work. I'm also managing to get some more wood and some nails and throw together a little work stool / bench combo. Hoping it'll give me more options in the future for something to sit on and whittle wood (as opposed to sitting on the ground.)

Beleg813

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 05:22:47 pm »
Hey Greg,

I'm at the point where I've taken off an inch from the 4x4, it's approximately 6 feet long and I've put some titewood glue on the small 2x4 piece that will hold the bow in place.

Will the glue be enough or should I find someother way to reinforce it?

p.s. I hope this makes sense!!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:12:44 pm »
Will the glue be enough or should I find someother way to reinforce it?

I would also add two or three wood screws for added support.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Beleg813

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 06:12:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice :)