Author Topic: SUPER Snakey Osage Bow (Pic Heavy)  (Read 33237 times)

Offline Will H

SUPER Snakey Osage Bow (Pic Heavy)
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »
At this years TN Classic, Gary Davis brought me a very challenging piece of wood. I asked him for something super snakey and man did he deliver! He showed up with two sister staves, one with holes, and one clean as a whistle. Gary said I could have my pick and he would build the other. I really took my time on every aspect of building this bow. This was a special piece of wood and I wanted to get it right. I believe it hit the form 5 or 6 times before it was all said and done to get the prop twist out and sting aligned properly. It was a real test of patience to put it lightly.  ::)  During the final stages of tillering I had a few minor longitudinal cracks appear in the big hook on the top limb that almost gave me a heart attack when they decided announce themselves.  :-[ ::) :laugh:  All in all the bow tillered out great and shot in fine unbacked. But, in an effort to make this thing bulletproof. I decided to try backing it with some thin rawhide from one of last years doe harvests. Thanks Pappy! It turned out great and I threw a couple road killed northern watersnake skins I got from my buddy in KY. Thanks Shannon  ;)  And thanks for the inspiration on naming her! (He took one look at her and said "that bows profile makes me think of Hot Lips Houlihan from that old show M.A.S.H." I laughed and said "Well, its settled then!") And I know I say this about all my new bows but this one really is one of the best shooting, hardest hitting bows I've ever made and I fully intend on hunting HARD with it this year.

Here are the stats:

66" Rawhide backed Osage
50#@27"
1 1/2" at the fades to 7/16" tips
Northern watersnake skins on the limbs 
Bighorn sheep tip overlays  (from Pearl Drums)
Buckskin grip and beavertail arrow shelf
8 strand D97 string
10 coats of Minwax poly

Anyway, heres my NEW sweetheart. "HOT LIPS"  I gotta thank Gary, Pappy, Pearl Drums,and Shannon for the materials and the help.  :) :) :) 
And thank y'all fer lookin'  :o  Enjoy!  ;)

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Will H

Re: SUPER Snakey Osage Bow (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:33:57 pm »
 :) :) :)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:35:47 pm »
 :) :) :)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:37:08 pm »
Wow! :o :o :o That is one sexy looking bow! I can only imagine how much work and patience a stave like that requires. Very nice job.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 02:44:09 pm »
Nice work! Full draw shot you would never know how snakey it is with as perfect of a tiller you have on it!!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:46:21 pm »
Beautiful bow will. Youve got some great friends to say the least.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:22 pm »
Thanks you guys  :)  Dvshunter, you can say that again! I feel very lucky to say the least  :) :) :) 
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »
This is one of those bow you just can't look at once.  I'll be coming back to this post to look at it over and over again.  Amazing work Will. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »
Nice finish work on that one singer/song writer! Great tips.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 03:29:18 pm »
Thanks outlaw! I really appreciate that fella :)
Thanks pearly ;) That piece of horn has to be the best "throw in" I've ever got in a trade :)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »
Excellent bow from a challenging stave Will. Everything about "Hot Lips" is beautiful.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 03:48:48 pm »
 :o That is something else Will.  Simply beautiful.  I love those horn tips and the watersnake skins have a real nice color and pattern to them.  You sure have those snakey osage bows down.  Some of the best photography to boot.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline k-hat

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »
Wow is about all i can say!  Bet that was a challenge to tiller, but you did an outstanding job.  Love it!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
Astounding work Will...from this snake to your recent points, you are a true artist!  I do not know of a better snake skin to set off the colors of the osage, well done!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 04:21:22 pm »
Fine job, Will. Don't leave that layin on the ground. Someone might come along and "kill" it.  :laugh:
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA