Author Topic: Orchard Hunting  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Orchard Hunting
« on: September 16, 2007, 05:36:38 pm »
I live in Western Washington.  I have 5 acres bordering on a full section of Port Blakely timber land that was clear-cut about 18 years ago.  The deer have been wreaking havoc on my orchard and my wife's roses.  I made my first bow a couple of months ago, and decided that might be the deer solution without endangering the neighbors.  So I have been camping out on the deer trail during the "golden hour" for the last two weeks.  The 2x3 buck that I have seen during the summer did not materialize. 

Last night, I finally hear a deer coming up the trail!  Whoo Hoo!  It is getting closer!  Then I hear a truck coming down the road that is just out of my sight, it slows down, and I hear someone say "Wow! Nice 3 point"  D**n!  Last I heard of that deer...  Makes me want to get some bodkins and start hunting trucks - just joking of course!

It's too dry and the brush too noisy to do much in the way of stalking.  We have another couple of weeks of early, and then the late season.  And I live on the "right" side of the dividing line, so a nice doe would be a possiblity.  I might have to let the buck get a bit larger on all the produce I am providing him.  It would be great to get a nice buck on my own property with a bow I made myself - and except for drivers, I won't have any competition.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Orchard Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:28:56 pm »
   That's too bad.I live in Orange grove country.when the deer,rabbits and hogs get out of control.You can get a depravation permit.Then you can hunt them all 24/7.Even with spotlights.
    We pulled up to a check station one morning with a trailer with 11 does piled on from one nite in the grove.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

Re: Orchard Hunting
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 12:01:42 am »
Good luck Kieth, I take it that they only scared your deer away, so you still have hunting to do. Lots of things can go wrong. and most of the time they do.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell