Author Topic: trouble with field point's, got one solution, with pics  (Read 4316 times)

Offline bubby

trouble with field point's, got one solution, with pics
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:51:44 am »
i'm having a hard time with my field point's comeing off, started to use 2 part epoxy but i'm still losing some, anyone tryed pinning them?, bub
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:47:21 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JEB

Re: trouble with field point's
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04:14 am »
Never pinned any but try cleaning the inside of the field point with acetone first. sometimes there is an oil residue left in the point.  I use and have been using  Ferr-L-Tite for years without any problems .  Make sure your point is heated up good.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:33 am »
Often this is because there is an air pocket trapped between the pile and the wood of the shaft.  This is easy to do when you use epoxy.  What I do is:

1. taper or reduce the size of the shaft as necessary (taper or parallel points)

2. clean out the pile with white spirit or meths (or acetone etc), as there is often a greasy residue of cutting compound from where the pile was made. I use earbuds/cottonbuds dipped in the solvent to do this.

3. when the pile is dry, make a test fit on the shaft, and mark the shaft where the pile ends on the shaft

4. using the very point of the pile, score a longitudinal groove along the shaft area (in line with the grain of the shaft) which goes inside the pile.  Ensure that the groove extends from the end of the shaft along the shaft far enough so that it isn't completely covered by the pile when it is added, i.e just beyond your mark made in #3.

5. put your epoxy into the pile, insert the shaft and ram the pile home against a piece of scrap wood, holding the arrow shaft.

If you got 4# right, excess glue and trapped air will be expelled from the open end of the groove.  Wipe off the excess glue and test for straight application of the pile by spinning the arrow shaft on it's pile point in your hand.  Correct if necessary, and set aside for the glue to set.

This has always worked for me, and my piles stay on.  I use araldite (a 2 part epoxy).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:30:43 am by bobnewboy »
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:54 pm »
thank's i'll try the groove, Bub

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:58 pm »
Bubby , I have had trouble when my tapers were to short.  Bob

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:19:25 pm »
Bub roll up some 80 grit and twist it in and out of the point 5-6 times, blow in it and glue it on. I promise it wont come out. Use regular ferriltite.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »
Don't use white spirit to clean field points before glueing them on. White spirit (called Stoddard solvent in the USA) is oil based and will leave an oily residue. Acetone, or methylated spirit (called Denatured alcohol in the USA) will do the job of degreasing well.

Offline Wind D Ranch

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »
It also helps to take a tap and slightly thread the inside of the point. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:11:15 pm by Wind D Ranch »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:22:11 am »
Ias gonna suggest that too, Wind D.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 02:04:27 pm »
It also helps to take a tap and slightly thread the inside of the point. 

I think the 50 grit twisting inside the way I do may "tap" the point a little as well. Maybe the swirls act as grabbers of glue? Not sure, but I know I lose very few points off my boo shafts since I started doing it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:57:03 am »
I burn any residue out of the point first. I'm trying to remember where I saw those threaded piles for sale. They claim that glue isn't needed, but I bet if you glued them on, they'd stay on!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:28:25 pm »
What has worked for me is to center tap the point on the side then drill a 1/16th" hole through the tip.The air pocket gets expelled that way with glue coming out of the holes.Never had one come off yet and they have gone into your latest newest 3D target foam which can pull out pretty hard to retreive.Aplying heat to the point to burn off oil residue first is a must.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline markinengland

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:09:00 pm »
Wouldn't burning out any oily residue tend to destroy any heat treatment? A solvent doesn't do this.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:46:22 am »
i came up with a solution to my problem >:D, Bub

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: trouble with field point's, got one solution, with pics
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:20 am »
That will definately work!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC