Author Topic: 3 hrs , no shot  (Read 10341 times)

jamie

3 hrs , no shot
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:01:08 pm »
spent 3 hrs today on  4 does and a six pointer who showed up later. closed the initial gap and then we stayed within 50 yrds to as close as 1o to each other. at one point i had the six pointer on one side of a hemlock and me on the other but no shot. my adrenaline is just coming down especially with 5 noses and 10 eyes at the ready to bust me. was awesome.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 3 hrs , no shot
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:02:28 pm »
That is great Jamie.  That is what it is all about anyway.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tradrick

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:06 pm »
A successful hunt even without the kill.Good times.tradrick

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:43:02 pm »
Pretty cool,now that is a real hunt. I can't imagine the wind holding that steady for so long. I have been busted several times this year by elk within minutes and before the shot was presented. The wind is very shifty in the Colorado mountains except very early and late in the day.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:49:17 pm »
 .................................Sounds cool but I think ya would like some venison ? ::) ;D...bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:26 am »
Always tomorrow,To have them that close shot or not is a hoot,can't wait till Sat. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 07:09:54 am »
Jamie, had the "almost" same problem Monday evening. Two Doe's came in then another, a big one with a dark coat. It was a beauty. I was in the ground blind and for the next 10 minutes tried to get a shot without the other two seeing me. Well the big one finally snorted and bounded back and the other two followed. Maybe she scented me, don't think so, but any case I will stay out of that area today and let them settle down. There is always tomorrow and the season lasts till Jan 1.

Dick

jamie

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:57:16 am »
believe me the wind doesnt hold. the difference in ct is the deer are fairly used to human presence. you just cant smell like a barrroom and go hunting. im usually covered in grass clippings and dirt from work so it helps. i love to stalk but like bob said , fresh meat is gonna taste goooooooood. going out again wednesday ;D

jamie

deer 2, jamie 0
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 06:40:36 pm »
they won again today. but because i let them. i stalked in on two . at about 25 yrds i realised i had 3. 3rd was a skipper and was pretty much right under my nose before i saw the thing. could of taken the skipper or one of the does. but didnt. warm today wasnt in the proper mood. oh well try again . ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:30:01 pm »
Jamie, what do you call a skipper? Never heard that before. Sounds like you have some good hunting spots.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 06:51:14 am »
Sounds like you are having fun,doubt I will be that selective in the morning if I get that close to
one.If I do pass on one I can't tell Joanie she will get all over me and say[ WHAT ARE YOU DOING]
I want some venison. :) and I am with Little John what is a skipper,must be a Yankee thing. ;D ;D
We call that a flat rock thrown across a pond. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 07:31:34 am »
Guys, a skipper, small deer, is like a small boy. You know, frisky, skipping around. Usually they ar 5 or 6 months old in September. May still have spots on their back side. Still hanging around their mother, looking ALL OVER THE PLACE. In the photos on my thread "What do we have here" is a doe and her skipper.

Dick

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 08:41:32 am »

I'll pass on a "skipper" in the morning, but that "skipper" better be pretty small and too young to make it on its own before I pass on mom. Sounds like a scene from Bambi doesn't it? :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

jamie

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 02:02:38 pm »
just like dick said. yeah pap i'll kick myself in the rear later for that one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 02:14:13 pm »
I watched a fawn doe walk a few weeks ago. Had 5 or 6 opportunities over about 15 minutes but she was just too small. ;) She had better not give me the chance a bit later. >:D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC