Author Topic: steel heads, ferrel-tite and temper  (Read 3231 times)

Offline aaron

steel heads, ferrel-tite and temper
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:32:21 pm »
I'm looking for input on how y'all glue on steel broadheads. I use ferrel-tite ( a hot melt glue) for field points, but I'm afraid the heat involved may ruin the temper on my broadheads.
so, what is your adhesive choice for steel broadheads, and how do you apply it?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: steel heads, ferrel-tite and temper
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »
You would have to really heat the point well past the melting point of the glue to ruin the temper.  I would think you are fine using hot melt and a candle.  Dip in water once set.

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »
I use the same glue on all mine, Its fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »
With ferraltite you should basically be almost able to hold the point in your hand for the glue to melt. Very little heat should be used and it should really be allowed to cool by itself rather than in cold water. Only annoying thing with this is that the hot air can be trapped and keep pushing the point off so gentle pressure to hold it on firmly while it sets is needed. Also it works best as a thin layer. Too thick and it can be brittle.
I've found expoxy gives a stronger bond.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:34:39 am »
I use epoxy with sinue wrap, more time to work at allignment than with the hot melt type.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:26:41 am »
I use ferrel tite on glue on heads,no problem,don't have to be that hot anyway to melt the glue. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:49:37 am »
  You have to get the steel cherry red to aneal it. (TAKE OUT THE HARDEST AND TEMPER)
  Rap with real (wet) sinew as it drys it srinks, tightens rock hard. After it dryed a day or so I seal mine with super glue.
  If you have or make your broad heads with backs tapered in and not square or barbed. They don't losen up. Every couple 100 shots or a few months or the next season if you don't shoot year round. Use a lighten to heat the head up a little it will reset your hot mealt.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:41:15 pm »
I also use a hot melt glue designed for mounting broadheads, but I also cut notches in the side of the broadhead  where it slips into the slot on the arrow shaft and I wrap serving thread around it making sure I get into all the notches. Then I soak the wrap in super glue. I have yet to have this system fail on me.