Author Topic: Hand Saw Blade as Broadheads? Any Comments? (Tested it out)  (Read 11990 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Hand Saw Blade as Broadheads? Any Comments? (Tested it out)
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »
After a prolonged shooting session I decided my current broadheads are too flimsy and I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting with them. I just could't trust them to perform. They didn't hold an edge well either and I was constantly sharpening them.

I've got this old hand saw blade and its a bit thicker than the stuff I was using before, and I'm guessing its also a higher quality steel seeing as how it was made to hold a cutting edge. But I've never used it and I'm curious if anybody here has tried this very thing before.

So has anyone been down this road before? If so do you have any comments or tips?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:35:51 pm by Slackbunny »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Hand Saw Blade as Broadheads? Any Comments?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:17:49 pm »
Are you referring to a saw like a carpenter would use to cut off a 2x4?  Or one of those little push saws you would use to poke a hole in sheetrock?  In the case of the former, OH YEAH!  In the case of the latter, don't waste your time. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »
Some handsaws have different steel for the teeth to that used for the body of the saw. Softer more flexible steel for the body, harder but more brittle steel for the teeth. Might be worth checking the hardness before doing too much work. Might still make a good blade/arrowhead if it will take a temper.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »
I was wondering the same thing about handsaw blades.  I bought one at a yardsale to try, but I ended up using a large bandsaw blade instead.  It is some tough steel. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »
I would think a carpenters hand saw would be too flimsy, heck they play music w/ them.  Now a circular saw blade is what you want. They come cheap to free most of the time.  You already said your other Bhs were to flimsy, so go w/ something tried and true, like regular old "skill saw" blades.  trace your favorite shape w/ a marker and cut big w/ a cold cheisel or have someone cut it over big w/ a plasma cutter or such and grind them down on a bench grinder or such.  Some local high school weld shops have plasma cutters and they have trouble charging legally.  ;)  Type it in in the seach, there has been much discussion on this page about it.  Good luck and let's see some pics when you get em done. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:21:40 am »
  CARPENTERS saws and only edge (teeth) harden and tempered.
  Look around flea markets ,yard sales for old saw mill blades. These old blades are 1095 steel it's a good edge steel. Most are harden and tempered to around the mid 50 RW hardest. Easy for the adverage Joe to shappen. A littler harder and tempered harder that WALLMART KNIFE BLADES. Any saw blades up to 18's are 1/8 inch anything overs 3/16's.
  tHE 1/8' make out standing points. I make mine 1x2 3/4 they come out about 180 grains. Been makeing and useing them for 15 years never had a tip rolL back even on bones.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »
Are you referring to a saw like a carpenter would use to cut off a 2x4?  Or one of those little push saws you would use to poke a hole in sheetrock?  In the case of the former, OH YEAH!  In the case of the latter, don't waste your time.

Yeah its one of those old carpenters hand saws for sawing through serious lumber. You can tell that in its day it was a quality saw.

But it seems like I may want to go with something a little thicker based on your guy's comments. I'm going to try this old saw out and shoot the crap out of the broadheads. Do some good old fashioned destructive testing to see what they're really made of. I'll post my results when I get around to actually doing it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 04:30:01 pm »

Yeah its one of those old carpenters hand saws for sawing through serious lumber. You can tell that in its day it was a quality saw.

I'm going to try this old saw out and shoot the crap out of the broadheads. Do some good old fashioned destructive testing to see what they're really made of. I'll post my results when I get around to actually doing it.
[/quote]

TTD  -   Test To Death   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:13 pm »
Well I made a broadhead out of that saw blade today and intentionally shot it at things I thought might break it. It was quite a hardy piece of steel. I eventually ended up shooting it straight into a tree at about 7 yards. It sunk in about an inch. When I pulled it out there was only a slight wobble in it, nothing that couldn't be straightened out with a hammer and anvil. All in all I am pleased with the saw blade steel and I plan on continuing to use it.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Hand Saw Blade as Broadheads? Any Comments? (Tested it out)
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »
yep old wood saws are usually pretty good steel, i'd say that unless you have a fair knowledge of hardening and tempering you will have trouble getting it to hold an edge well
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline robby

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
Slackbunny, These are made from an old two-man saw, and are about .075" thick.

In the process of making them, forging, grinding and such, I noticed they had lost some temper. I do a "whack test" by hitting the edge with an old bone. I re-tempered them so they will sharpen with a stone, but won't blunt over or chip upon impact with something hard, and they work like a champ.
First time out with them, many years ago! Sheesh!!

Robby

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »
Cool pics robby. I think I may also need to re-temper these broadheads.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 09:57:23 am »
   You can temper them in a kitcken oven it there that thin. 400 FOR 2 HOURS LET AIR COOL COMEPLETELY AND DO IT AGAIN.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:26 pm »

Saw blades will make good arrow heads, and filet knives.  The tempering process is not so difficult.  A little practice and you will have it down in no time.  Dang!  Dudley Do Right is a Bow Hunter? :o ;D  Nice buck. ;)

Wayne

Offline robby

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »
Yeah Bender, I guess I should cave in, and join the hordes of camo clad sheep out there making war on those poor animals. ;)
Robby