Author Topic: Ka-pow  (Read 6749 times)

blackhawk

Re: Ka-pow
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 10:04:15 pm »
 :-[   >:(  :(  :-\   :'(

Looks like maybe it was too dry for an explosion like that,and possibly too low in mass.  I know whenever I've gone under 2 ounces its never pretty.

Offline johnston

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:22 pm »
Pearlie are you gonna do a "How To" thread on the repair?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:43 pm »
Bummer Pearl! That looks a lot like my last ERC bow. Lots of pieces. :( We all know how that stuff likes to blow up.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:28:21 pm »
That's sucks Pearl. It makes me nervous as I'm working my piece.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:00 pm »
I wouldnt be gun shy about yours DVS. I think some woods are just more apt to explode and or break than others. I have seen plenty of spectacular explosion pics from yew, erc and juniper. Im sure its great when its great, no question about that as Ive seen it. If I have to nit pick my building down to ounces, weight and mass I need to switch lumber. My brain doesnt work that way. It was a fun build and I learned how to make round bellies and tiller them, all was not lost I guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »
Man! That just flat out sucks! :'(  she was sure looking good up to that point. Josh

Offline Gaur

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
bummer.  sorry for you.  I hate when that happens but glad you weren't hurt.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 12:21:43 am »
  That looks just like my ERC bow, same story, had a few dozen arrows then Kapow,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 12:36:37 am »
Is the air pretty dry where you live? Some yew, you get and it sucks. Taken from the wrong side of the tree. Who knows. Many factors. What an explosion though.
Sorry to hear man. You all out of yew now?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:01 am »
WOW thats a lot o pieces bet it was loud  :'(  that stinks, what is your belief on the cause?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:12 am »
That's happened to me more times than I care to admit. Just gotta let it go and move on to the next one.
Gordon

Offline chamookman

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 05:58:21 am »
We've all been there PD, sweep up the pieces and move on to the next one. Matt Wirwicki had the BEST blow-up I ever witnessed in My shop MANY years ago - last inch of draw on the wall and POW, lot's of flying debrit plus the scale SLAMMING the floor - spectacular  >:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't remember exactly what wood it was, but I know it wasn't Osage.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 10:19:03 am »
Is the air pretty dry where you live? Some yew, you get and it sucks. Taken from the wrong side of the tree. Who knows. Many factors. What an explosion though.
Sorry to hear man. You all out of yew now?

The humidity ranged from 50-55 most of the week and the bow weighed between 16.1-16.4 the whole time, that tells me about 9% rh. Im afraid that was my only chunk Bryce. I actually rolled the limb around and found the top side to use as my back thinking it was already trained in tension strength.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 10:20:02 am »
Steve thats a nice one as well! Gotta love those light weight woods when they go!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:42 am »
Archery in general and bow making in particular can be quite humbling. I've been humbled on many an occasion, PD. Here's a photo of Broken Bow Gardens. I usually pick up another stave and have a go. :) Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!