Author Topic: Ka-pow  (Read 6748 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Ka-pow
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »
That stinks pd, especially on such a perty piece of wood. It happens to all of us but it still sucks when it does happen. Just out of curiosity, how did it shoot? Ive Never had the chance to work with yew or shoot a yew bow.

Nice garden george, good way to put the broke ones to use.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 01:55:59 pm »
We may not have found the fabled Elephant Graveyard, but apparently George has the less well known Bow Graveyard!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »
Aw, that's not so bad, PD. just squirt a little super glue in those cracks and wrap some sinew around it, you'll have it shooting in no time.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »
Aw, that's not so bad, PD. just squirt a little super glue in those cracks and wrap some sinew around it, you'll have it shooting in no time.

We are such a caring and loving bunch of people, always there with the good advice.   >:D

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2012, 02:11:33 pm »
Now I'm disappointed about your bad break PD, was looking forward to seeing what you made out of that yew since I love seeing all of
your bows. I got a hornbeam tillered to about 20" draw right now, it's way under mass I think and I heard some ticks at 20 1/2".
It's gonna blow I believe. If it's a spectacular break I may post it, might help others feel better.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 02:14:51 pm »

If it where three pieces and not six I may try it, I have made crazier things work on bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »
Now I'm disappointed about your bad break PD, was looking forward to seeing what you made out of that yew since I love seeing all of
your bows. I got a hornbeam tillered to about 20" draw right now, it's way under mass I think and I heard some ticks at 20 1/2".
It's gonna blow I believe. If it's a spectacular break I may post it, might help others feel better.
Greg

Been there done that. Slap some rawhide now and it will last a long time!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »
For a guy that plays PERCUSSION, he seems to be disappointed to make such a big noise!

I think that his real disappointment is that there's nothing left big enough to make drumsticks out of!

Have we picked on you enough yet, PD?  Personally, I think that the bow gods decided after all the wonderful stuff you posted on here that they needed to remind you that you really are a mere mortal after all.  Take it as a compliment and move on to the next stave.  Heck, you prolly got the next one already to floor tiller, what am I saying?!?!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 11:14:37 pm »
That is too bad.  I hope you don't give up on yew. Sounds like humidity wasn't a factor, so I am suspicious of the low ring count nature of that piece.  Looking at that original post, it looks like 15 rpi on that piece, where with yew, 70 rpi is considered top shelf and 30 rpi is considered low, but manageable.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 12:17:51 am »
That is too bad.  I hope you don't give up on yew. Sounds like humidity wasn't a factor, so I am suspicious of the low ring count nature of that piece.  Looking at that original post, it looks like 15 rpi on that piece, where with yew, 70 rpi is considered top shelf and 30 rpi is considered low, but manageable.

That was also my first thought. But the pieces look more like a tension failure.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline raghorns

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 01:38:22 am »
Pearl, I finished up a yew bow that I started at the Tenn. Classic...shot it hundreds of times ...the most amazing bow I have ever shot...it was so dry here all summer, which I think is why it cracked right down the center of the limb. I also had an osage bow break that had been shot for months. 

Plenty of humidity now and shooting a new skinned osage...ready to climb a tree and introduce her to a whitetail.

Live Life at Full Draw