Author Topic: Congratulations to Judo Point for winning July Self BOM with his Turtlebuster bo  (Read 5361 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4

Congratulations to Judo Point for winning July Self BOM with his Turtlebuster bow. 

Judo Point’s Turtlebuster bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34163.0.html

Here is what Judo Point had to say about his bow:Here's my second bow it's made from hop hornbeam and is 62" ntn 48# @ 28".  It is 1 1/2" wide to about mid limb then tapers to 1/2" at nocks. The skins are snapping turtle tails and are wrapped with sinew to make the transition to the outer limbs the outer limbs are left natural with a horse hair tuft on the top limb. The handle wrap is leg skin from one of the snapping turtles stitched with sinew and two turtle claws hanging from the ends. The arrow strike plate is a scale off the turtle shell.  I also died the mid belly to kinda match the skins I used dark green over dark brown rit dye. The pics don't really show the colors very well. It's finished in tru oil with a coat of clear satin spar urethane on the skins.  All animals used in the making of this bow were consumed and delicious! Cept the horse he's alive and doing well. Lol..  I really think this bow screams primitive. Let me know what y'all think.

Here is what others on Primitive Archery online said about Turtlebuster:

Congratulations Judo point!  This was a tough field to choose just one.  Well done to all of ya!  Josh
Just one word....STYLE!!!   lesken2011
AWESOME!  I love the turtle skins!  The handle is sweeet!   good job!  Arrowwind
That is one sweet bow Judo. I'll admit, I wish my second bow was that nice. Keep up the great work man!!  Tattoo Dave
Turtle Man's going to be pissed!  That bows got some live action.  I had a bow long ago that I put a tuft of horsehair on the top nock, thanks for reminding me of that.  I think that looks cool.  Tom Sawyer

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Will H

I love this bow! So unique :) Congrats on a well deserved win ;) can't wait to see it in print!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Congrats ,very well done. Very nice tiller and finish work is exceptional. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Judo Point

Thank you Will! I'm glad to see it become a reality it's been in my head for years and it turned out just as cool as I imagined. I'm looking forward to seeing it in print also I still can't believe I'm a BOM winner. Pretty excited!

Thank you Pappy! Your work has inspired me for years so that means alot to me. I've never been to any workshops or had anyone to help teach me so when I show people my bows and they ask how I learned how to make them it comes down to the bowyers bibles and mostly this site everyone being so friendly and helpful. I may not of asked a whole lot of questions but I've done alot of searching and when I couldn't find what I was looking for I'd ask and you all are quick and happy to help. I love this site and thanks again for all the great info.

Offline missilemaster

Congrats Judo, Great looking bow and a well deserved win.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Judo Point

Thanks misslemaster! I appreciate it you make some of my favorite bows I even borrowed some ideas from you the two tone rit die for one.

Offline ol dog

Nice going Mike. No contest. I'll be bringin you a piece of 4 year old osage and a piece of locust in October.  Jerry