Author Topic: looking for info on this bow  (Read 5011 times)

Offline deerex

looking for info on this bow
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »
I was directed to this site from another bowhunting site.  My interest has become kindled in the area of traditional archery.  I would like to share a few pictures of a long bow that was recently passed down to me from my father.  he aquired it from a man who was a collector of weapons and traveled overseas and had many exotice weapons as I recall, I was young when I remeber seeing them but he had swords and shields and spears hanging on the walls of his modest home.  I am hoping someone here can shed some light as to the age of this bow and it's material and possible origin.  If not point me in a direction to have it's mysteries uncovered.  In my limited knowledge it appears to be an english style longbow with horn tips (there is some old worm damage in the tips I feel has been there for some time)  there is a cord wrapped grip with some type of leather wrapped outside of that.  I can see no markings on the bow.  It has been hanging in my fathers house for a little over 20 years.  Pictures to follow, thanks Dan

Offline deerex

Re: looking for info on this bow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 03:13:32 pm »
here are some pics.

Offline deerex

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »
one more

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »
how long is it?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline deerex

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 04:57:14 pm »
Over 6'  I can measure when I get home.  what is the proper way to measure? tip to tip straight? or follow the contour?  there should not be much differance I guess..

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:34 pm »
did you post itin the english warbow section, they might have more info, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline deerex

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:11:04 pm »
Total length is 73 1/4 +-
Thanks

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »
From the pics of old English longbows I have seen here and in Primitive Archer Magazine, they seemed to have often placed marks just below or above the grip on the belly, or inside, of the bow.  From the pics, I couldn't see any.  Might be a home made shooter, and not something from an archery maker/dealer.  I think it's really cool, planning on copying that grip some time on a longbow.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
I'd venture to say it is from the 1940s from the looks of the handle wrap. The horn nocks are a bit amaturish looking as they are not well fitted. The wood could be lemon wood which was very common is those days. It probably doesn't have much draw weight just by looking at the shape and length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »
 It could be earlier, late 20's maybe. I have 4 of them that were all made similer. Like Pat said, more than likely Lemonwood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »
I'd venture to say it is from the 1940s from the looks of the handle wrap. The horn nocks are a bit amaturish looking as they are not well fitted. The wood could be lemon wood which was very common is those days. It probably doesn't have much draw weight just by looking at the shape and length.

I have read also that lemon wood was common for target longbows like these back in the day. I can't tell exactly, but just out of curiosity, does the bow appear to have a laminated back? I was thinking it might be hickory backed or something, but the varnish aged and yellowed so much that it might of become hard to tell...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »
Looks like it has taken quite a bit of set. Like Pat said, looks like lemonwood, and the horn nocks, if not the whole bow appears to be a home-made product--the corners/edges seem a little 'blockish' for and elb. Still and all a nice bow and nice cordage handle wrap.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:12:09 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 06:34:51 am »
I agree that it looks English. It's at least European, but my guess would be from the United Kingdom. I also think it is probably lemonwood, given the age and design of the bow. Those horn nocks are very ugly looking, if you ask me. Indeed somewhat amaturish. I don't think the bow is worth a lot of money (if that matters at all), but it might have high sentimental value for you and you family. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still string it and shoot it, though. But you must be sure it's worth the risk. The bow looks in good condition other than just being old. Inspect it for any damage before you string it.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »
  When younger I had 3 bows that looked just like it. All 72"s. It's differently home made lemonwood. Lemenwoods famous for string follow with age. The cells break down some what. Your right the nocks ar'nt filed in to even and factory english long bows I've see ar'nt that blocky.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline deerex

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »
There is definately no hickory or any laminate.  There are light tool marks all over the bow.  From the other forum I belong to the consensus is Lemonwood or degame and they seemed to think the 1930's.  I can find no marks at all.  The horn tips have some bore damage and as noticed are not perfect.  everything else is very symmetrical and the D shape is distinctive.  The gentlemen who collected this originally traveled to Europe and Africa that I know of, worked in the oil/gas industry.  this will be a wall hanger for sure.  wouldn't try and string it.  Thanks for the opinions and insight.