Author Topic: Hunting season 2012  (Read 12217 times)

Offline sharpend60

Re: Hunting season 2012
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 01:57:08 am »
I didnt draw any tags this year.
No Big game for me...

Good luck guys!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:00:41 am by sharpend60 »

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2012, 01:17:05 am »
well i am sorry to hear you didn't get your bully...but you did get some great memory's with you Friend and he got a nice one with your guidance...john

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 03:33:40 am »
Well I havn't been on in a while working to much living not enough, but reading the stories was great. I did get to go out and hunt a little and as always fun and spiritualy in lightening. I do have some elk in the freeze thanks to one of my wheelie shoot'n buddies :-[ but good the same. As for my season we could call it a bust full of lessons I seem to be to stuborn to learn ;D lesson one dry ground, hot weather, and wearly winds are no good for spot and stock. Tree stands only work if you use them and best if one has the patience to sit them quitely. Three the bust when you build a bow and you see after shooting a while that a splinter is lifting under the raw hide backer, and you discuss a plan for fixing, fix it don't try to push it until after season. On the morning of the last Saturday while sitting in my stand for the first time in the season I was board and drawing my bow to check all of my shooting angles to make sure I would be ready if something did come in. Yup you guessed it pow Buster my little Juniper Bow come apart, violently :o Let me tell one more lesson to all of you who know this missfortunate response wood sometimes has to abuse, Please! do try this at home not in a tree it adds greatly to the excitement :o More T.P. please :laugh: lesson learned till next time >:D
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »
lovin these stories. i recently had a mule deer/whitetail hunt, in eastern wa. half our trip would be huntin high for mulies, the other half down in the valley for whitetail/mulies. for mulie huntin we backpacked to the top of the ridge which is 6000 feet, and 6 mile hike, to stay for 2 nights sleepin by the fire, under the stars. it was a blast! not many deer were found up top but there were some big tasty blue grouse up there. i did get to stalk whitetail in the valley, me and my brother got within 15 yards of this big whitetail doe, i shot under, he shot over. one lucky doe.

im more of a hunter than a bowmaker, as in my bows are ugly compared to alot of guys on here, but she shoots good, bow is vine maple 52 ntn 54# 24, arrows are a mix of salmonberry, ocean spray, and sitka spruce all with zwickeys, fletched with duck goose and turkey feathers.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 11:18:18 pm »
Some great stories guys. Keep them coming.

Congrats on the grouse Bearfoot.  BTW Love the bow and quiver pic! looks like a great bow!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 12:12:21 am »
barefoot,i also have to say i love your gear...dont take this the wrong way BUT the more crude looking it is the more i like it..what is your quiver made from..thanks for sharing the pics...john

Offline Adam

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 12:35:03 am »
That grouse looks like a fine meal, and the view isn't half bad either! 

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 01:58:51 am »
john the quiver is hair on rawhide, with hair on the inside to keep it quiet. no worrys man thats how i would describe my bows, crude has its own beauty that i to love.
thanks keenan, i hope you have a late season on those elk over there.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 11:45:39 am »
Barefoot, we do have a late season for cow only in November. also good area for my anual yew harvest ;D

BTW Just noticed the foot print by the bow on the rock. That is a very cool pics. Should be on the cover of PA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »
Thanks for all the great stories and pics guys. I haven't been out yet this year so these posts really help me stay connected.   8)
  Barefoot, pretty don't make a bow! Functionality does. Your set up should be perfect for your hunting. If you and your brother get another opportunity I can imagine two arrows in the boiler room of your next deer.  ;)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »
thanks for the kind words keenan
thanks pat, i sure hope thats the case, cause im gettin hungry

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:15 am »
good thread Keenan. I am still awaiting Gordons post on his bull. maybe I missed it somewhere. my season wasnt real stellar. I hunted this buck for the last couple of years never got a chance at him. I was sitting in my treestand when he appeared. he was walking toward me but I knew he would check out the food block I had put down which should give me a slightly quartering away shot. he came by the bush and turned towards the block, I picked a spot and started to draw as he turned, however he didnt seem interested and turned back toward me and continued on this course. as he passed under my stand I tried to stand to get a shot at him quartered away, but he heard the movement and trotted off. my trail cam took this pic as he turned away from the block. you can see me sitting in the tree above him. only opportunity I had at him. :'(

Offline coaster500

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:09 pm »
Great thread!!!

My first chance this fall will be at the end of the month but you guys are getting my motor running :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 10:31:50 am »
Great thread and some beautiful country,love you bow also Barefoot. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 11:56:20 am »
Went hunting this morning and went to a fence row with my bike.  Was dressed warm but didn't expect as much wind and was cold before I nocked my arrow.  Got down and rode bike to my pine trees which would be out of wind.

It was still dark when I pulled off gravel road to lane that goes to the pines.  I hit something that through me off the bike.  As I was falling I could see a round like ball roll away.  As i lay there I could see the ball....it was an osage orange.  Not an osage tree within 1/4 mile....I have no idea how it got there??   I hunt osage now it seemed to be hunting me...and it got me. >:D

After I fell I imagined I looked like the scarecrow on the Wizard of Oz!!   My bow was over there, my arrows were over there, my quiver was over there, my bike was over there. :-[ 

Once I realized I wasn't hurt ..........I finally thought it was kind of funny. :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!