Author Topic: Magical Mystery Hunt  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Little John

Magical Mystery Hunt
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:15:30 am »
I made it out to the high country again This past weekend to try again for an elk. Worked Friday and got gathered up that night, got away from town late so drove up and slept in the truck for a while before shouldering the back pack at about 4:30 Sat morning, got to my camping spot shortly after daylight so stashed the pack and snuck into my stand. I was doing a really nice job of still hunting and had the wind good, walked up to within about 50-60 yards of a big bull who never knew that I was around, he was only about 60 yards from my stand and I figure there are other elk in the area and decide not to attempt a stalk but to slip into the stand and see what happens. I did a little cow talking, tree raking with a big stick  and  later a couple of rather poor imitations of bugles. I see no elk by time to head to camp  so head out again doing a very good job of still hunting, after about twenty yards  I hear a commotion behind me, when I look around a tree limb is still swinging from something running past it and only about 20 yards from the stand, if only I had stayed a few more minutes. Went ahead and still hunted back to camp and got there just after dark. Set up the tent, built a fire, made coffee, ate, got a little rain shower( beautiful camping) .  Sunday I never saw an elk but spotted the blackest and shineyest bear and a smaller one also near my stand, they also never knew I was around, just walked out of my life like the bull. By about three O'Clock I needed to think about getting back to civilization and my job so started still hunting back to camp, then it started to drizzle rain then did a big demonstration of high country lightening and thunder. Real magical, quiet walking and lots of sound covering noise. I was expecting to slip up on some an animal in its bed as the area was so elkie, but it wasn't to be, still was the neatest sneaking I have ever done in the woods. Broke camp, had coffee and shouldered the pack again at 6:00 PM and hiked thru light rain and thunder back to the truck, made it out in 2 1/2 hours  and to the house at 10:00  Work sure gets into my hunting, Will try for a three day hunt this weekend for the season finnaley
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Magical Mystery Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:27:11 am »
                    You titled this correctly Kenneth as far as iam concerned "Magical"..............bob

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:36:50 am »
Yep Bob , real magical and about the best experience I have ever had with a bow in hand.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 12:46:38 am »
Sounds great Kenneth.  I sure would like to have one of those weekends about now.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:47 am »
I'm drooling Kenneth. Were you near where we camped and hunted. If you take Elkie next week I promise you will connect with an elk. ;) Sounds like one heck of a hunt. Wish I was there...again! :'(      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:05:12 am »
Justin, have you been getting to hunt any? I know you had said that a lot of your areas have burned. Maybe you can make it out next year.    Kenneth

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:11:57 am »
Pat I wish I could describe the spot better, I know you hunted the area at least once. It is probably the fartherest drainage up Salt that we would have hunted, where two small creeks come into Salt right next to each other, probably about a mile upstream from where we hunted. Ok Elkie is going for sure. Plan on next year.      Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:28 am »
Was it near the trail to Deer Creek? or the other side of Salt?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 01:36:34 am »
Probably about 3/8 mile upstream from the deer creek trail and on the other side of the drainage (south facing). I may have mentioned that Kathie and I had camped there a couple of times.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 08:22:09 am »

I enjoyed your hunting story...carried me back to some hunts I've had in the mountains. Looking forward to next weeks continuing saga of the "Magical Mystery Hunt"! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:34:44 am »
Great story,I know that had to be great,Man it is good just being out there be glad when I
can get back to the mountains.Good luck on the up coming hunt. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 09:44:57 am »
Kenneth, All of my hunting areas did burn.  I decided to wait until the end of October to hunt this year.  Then I have a cow elk hunt in December.  O should have just been bowhunting Colorado with you this year. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:04:37 am »
I've been enjoying this saga - hopefully next week you will have some pictures of big dead Elk to show :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.