Author Topic: Some Staves  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Some Staves
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:31:11 pm »
I thought i might as well post some pics of the staves i got yesterday. The two with scaly bark are hawthorn, and the smoother one is serviceberry. I don't know if i'll be able to split the two hawthorn because the grain seems twisted in areas, but with the awesome grain of hawthorn i think it'll look awesome if i get a bow outa it! I'll probably aim for around 58" like the last hawthorn bow i made because i really like that length! I can get a good draw out of it without stacking or anything like that  ;D

I've also been thinking about doing a small build along type thing to show off my farmer skill  :laugh: :laugh: But mostly to learn a lot and to make myself busy.

Something i might add before the pics: Harvesting hawthorn is a workout!  :o When the trunks are in those tight thickets the upper branches all grow together and the long thorns seem to hook to other stuff... it took me quite some time to get these things down after cutting them!! But nothing like a good, thorny work out to get bow staves and then a hike up a hill with cacti everywhere!  ;D ;D
The pics:
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Some Staves
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:19:54 pm »
Looks like eastern Washington from the pictures in the background. So that means you should have more of those seviceberry, hawthorn, and the like. I live in western Washington, and looking for wood seems a bit hard...(probably because i have a small property{1 acre} that has mostly plum and black locust, and a BUNCH of maple.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:24:02 pm »
Yep, i live in the dry part. Are you around the Tacoma area? I saw A BUNCH  of maple there as i was driving along. Actually, my first bow was made of vine maple, so it's good stuff. I have no wild trees on my property so i mostly get my wood from a creek owned by some fish-saving company thing in a gulch right by the house, and from other places which i'm not exactly aloud to access...   ::) But i get by, these shrubs grow everywhere here!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:42:53 pm »
Good harvest Zion. Looking forward to seeing what you make from those. Been checking out your post when they come up and I like your bows.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »
I live like 45 mins north of Tacoma. i think the main reason i dont see any trees that are reasonable is that i am in the middle of town, vs being out in the countryside
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)