Author Topic: "slewing" arrows  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
"slewing" arrows
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:52:48 am »
Let me preface this by saying I am a newbie.  I made my first Osage bow a couple of months ago.  It is 55lb at 28".  I had some custom cedar arrows made, and have been pleased with how the setup is shooting.  I think Joe said the new arrows splined at 60lb?  I noticed today that a lot of the arrows end up where I want them, but slew around, back and forth before hitting the target.  Is this drifting around because of spline weight?  Or am I just noticing normal flight now that I am becoming more used to shooting?

Thanks,
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Re: "slewing" arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:57:35 am »
And also, the knocks seem to be tearing up the serving on my string.  Should I sand the inside of the slot on the plastic knocks before I re-serve the string?  I like the positive feel for staying on, but don't want to wear out my string. 

Don't worry, at some point I will be making primitive arrows with hardwood slots for knocks...   ;D

Keith

Offline butch

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:57:44 am »
you got good eyes or slow arrows. mine may slew some but only with good light. a little paradox is normal.  boy, two months on the job and all of a sudden im an expert.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:50:36 am »
Arrows spined at 60# can be a bit heavy for a 55# selfbow unless they're left long-most people seem to shoot arrows spined 5# or so lower than the draw weight of their bows. Do you shoot straight up or canted? Canting can give you a bit more tolerence of spine range. Adjusting your brace height might also make a noticable difference.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:48:23 am »
One more question,  did you cut in an arrow rest? If you cut in a deep arrow rest, and the bow in near center shot, the spine can be a little more forgiving.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:40:47 am »
I was told by a bower to use a 50# spline, and the gentleman that made my arrows suggested stiffer, so that is one of things I was wondering could cause it.  I cant the bow a bit and shoot left handed.  I'll have to research a bit more about brace height.  I heard somewhere that it should be the width of your hand and outstretched thumb?  Any suggestions?

The bow has an arrow shelf glued on the side of the bow, but the string is offset to that side, and does not lay in the center of the bow, but closer to the arrow shelf.

Thanks for the responses!
Keith

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:03:26 am »
I prefer arrows about 10# under draw weight for self bows. An arrow bends more around a standard self bow than for a near center shot bow so the spine weight has to be lighter for a self bow. The spine weight is measured for a 28" arrow.  For each inch over 28" that your arrow is you can subtract 5# of spine weight(and vise versa). So, if you buy a set of cedars that are spined for 50# but uncut, you can cut them to 30" and the spine will be 40#.
I prefer longer arrows. I shoot 29" to 30" arrows for my 26" draw.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:29:42 am »
Please quit calling it SPLINE....a spline is a piece inserted into the end to reinforce a self nock (also a type of gear tooth) but its SPINE. Good advice from the others.  My fifty five pound hickory self bow LOVES shafts of 45 pound spine.  My other boo backed bow shoots fifty really well even though it only pulls fifty (then again it has a cut in rest)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:35:26 pm »
  Keith,I've seen arrows with tight self nocks hang on to the string too long.It made for some wobbly shots.All it takes is some mild heat and bend the nocks out a little.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?