Author Topic: yardage and wood bows  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Blacktail

yardage and wood bows
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:35:40 am »
this is a NO glass subject all wood...what is the max yardage that you would shoot a deer at or even practice at..john

Offline hedgeapple

Re: yardage and wood bows
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:45:20 am »
Fifteen yards is my limit if everything is perfect.  I prefer 10 yards or less.  Practicing, I'll shoot out to 30 yards.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:41:35 am »
Real situation? Live animal 15 yrds. Target....well, that depends on how many wheelie bows are at the range when I get there! I prefer to stay around 20 yrds max at home though, lest I lose any more darned arrows to the vortex that is my blackberry briar!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:42:36 pm »
I've been shooting at ten, fifteen, twenty and twenty five yards at home.  Starting to feel really good about the 10 and 15 yardage shots. Twenty and twenty five can be great at times, and unnacceptable other times.  I think I'll be sticking to shots under twenty yards in the field.

To me, my range is the distance that my first in the morning arrow is accurate. And that's 15 yards or so.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »
Out to 15 yards is my feel good distance to shoot at a deer.

In practice I shoot out to around 30 yards...maybe cause I can see the arch of the arrow better at a longer distance!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:25 pm »
I like the layups myself when hunting but have effectively shot through heart/lung at 20 + yds . I prefer close 5-15 yds. I shoot a lot of different ranges when practicing on stumps in the woods.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:38:13 pm »
I think it depends on your own comfort level and how practiced up you are.  Do what feels comfortable for you.  IF you prefer to be 10 yards or less than hold yourself to it.  But you can be pretty darn accurate and deadly at much greater distances.....if you practice and practice right.  I shot a deer at 20 yards and buried the arrow to the feathers several years ago.  I punched a rabbit thru both lungs at 40 yards with my primitive bow and that shot can be seen on my DVD.... but I had been practicing at 30-plus yards for 2 days and felt like I could hit him.  Of course I don't recommend shooting at any game animal that far....but I felt confident I could hit him and I did..

But much more realistic is to stay 20 yards or less. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 01:52:14 am »
thanks for the info..i feel much better about my shooting now...john

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:48:01 am »
   I set up all my sites 12 to 15 yards. I can shoot 20 my longest was 18 yards. I pracrice back to 30 ,40 yards some. But keep my real shooting to under 20.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »
I practice out to 50 yds or more. Hunting situation I'm confident to 25-35yds but closer the better.
Forever making arrows!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 05:04:09 pm »
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »
I practice up to 40. Prefer actual hunting shots 10 to 20. Farthest i eber shot a deer was pushing 25. But i had been shooting a lot every day at that time. Some days when i havnt been able to shoot enough recently i wont shoot past 15 at a live critter.
Steve Bennett

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:38:02 pm »
If conditions were right and the animal presented me with a textbook shot, I'd go out to 25 yards. But that's with a bow that I have been practising with exclusively all summer.

For target practice I've gone out to close to fifty yards for fun, but I'm really playing the trajectory at that point, and I'm lucky if I can get a group within a couple meters. But I normally keep it under thirty yards for regular practice. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
My real life experinece tells me 15-18 yards is more than enough for me and my primitive gear. I can shoot 20-25 in the yard all day, but that means nothing in real hunting situations.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:27 am »
5 to 15 is what I like and set up for.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good