Author Topic: yardage and wood bows  (Read 6961 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: yardage and wood bows
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »
just curious guys when you talk about real close shots like 5-10 yards, are you talking about tree stand setups, or from the ground?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:01 pm »
Both for me Jon. Im also curious how many of us have actually hunted with and killed deer with a self bow? How many of us have actually killed live deer with self bows at a true 35-45 yards intentionally? Thats a LOOOOOONG ways for an arrow to travel no matter what bow your hefting around......
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 11:54:03 am »
Mostly from a stand Jon and 5/6 yards is where the most are shot at. Pearl ,probably 50 or 60 with a selfbow,150 or so with traditional bow/longbow/recurve and only 1 at 28 steps  and 1 at 37 steps a few at around 20  but most less than 10.The one at 28 I didn't think it was near that far.The one at 37 I knew it was and had practiced at that range for weeks as he kept eluding me on the same trail and no way to move in on him.  :) Hope folks don't think this is bragging,just been doing it a long time in a good area to hunt and that is all I hunt with through all the seasons.  :) No muzzy or Rifles.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »
Did that arrow seem to take 2-3 minutes to get there at 37 yards Pappy? I play around out back at 35-40 yards and my better performing bows seem to take a half day to get there! And more often than not they arent very accurate!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »
Yes and the only reason I tried the shot at all was as I practiced at 40 yards on a deer mid I would either Kill it dead on or miss altogether.Wouldn't try it again but that buck had me really flustraited and that particular day he was wide open,no idea I was around and all felt prefect. Heart shot him and he ran to me ,right under my stand and fell dead about 20 yards to my east. The selfbow is so quite he never knew anything till the arrow hit then he went straight up in the air and ran to me. Lucky I know but will take luck over skill anytime,at least for me. :) That being said I still like 5-15. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:11 pm »
I practice out to 25, but I like no more than 15. I usually don't have a clear shot beyond that anyway.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 01:02:24 pm »
Here in the Ole west AZ getting less than a 10-15yd shot is tough especially from the ground. Open terrain and sometimes lack of cover plus "high strung" deer. I challenge the east to western hunting methods. Mainly stalking. It'll kick your azz 9 times outta 10. I hunt hard, last year I had two excellent encounters, one great buck at 32yds and another bedded buck at 20yds. Both times I loosened an arrow but they sailed harrmlessly into thin air or deflected. Thats all I ask for, more than one chance encounter. I practice at 30-50yds kneeling, off balance, snap shots or basically anything that I may have experienced in the past. Real hunting situation I pray for shots under 30yds. I'll make a dozen arrows and maybe use 1 or 2 outta the bunch for hunting. But my main practice is going out into the woods/desert with blunts or Judos. Shooting and always coming home with broke or lost arrows. Sometimes..... I actually hit the rock I was aiming for ;)!
For me thats practice.......not backyarding into foam. I try to sneak arrows through trees, under over-hangs or over humps into a barely visible target. It cracks me up when I see/hear archers worried about their prudy lil "custom"arrows being broke........Hey at least I'm getting better at building my arrows I say. haha
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:16:49 pm by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!

Offline hurlbri1

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 02:14:01 pm »
Wow!  Thank you so much for posting this thread!  I am heading out tomorrow in Illinois for my first ever deer hunt!  I was hitting a pie tin with my self bow 5/6 times at between 10 and 15 yards.  Out to 20, though, much less accurate.  I was surprised at the level of drop that occurs.

Shooting next to 70 lb draw compounds shooting the lights out at 50 yards at the range was intimidating me...my 44lb flatbow at 15 yds seems to be right where most of you like to shoot...although I am betting I am far less accurate...
"All science is either physics or stamp collecting" -Ernest Rutherford

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »
IMO making "matched" arrows for you hunting set-up is KEY for shots over 25-30yds. Its amazing after a long practice session I can always pick-up that one or two and drill that spot almost everytime. I'll usually mark that "sweetie", take data for replication in the future (spine,weight, length) and set aside for later use for hunting. My storage door serves as a info. board covered in black Sharpie data for my bows and arrows set-up. What one bow likes and sometimes what it doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:26:19 pm by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!