Author Topic: opening day- so close  (Read 5759 times)

youngbowyer

opening day- so close
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:43:16 am »
Our early season opened up today. I got in my stand at 5 am and it was still pitch black. Around 6:10 it was light enough to shoot. I watched the woods come alive and at 7 am 2 does came in. One offered me a good shot and I drew back and missed :'( My nerves got the best of me, i am confident I will make it happen this year though. Wish me luck ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: opening day- so close
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:09:56 pm »
Pick a spot! You lost concentration and shot at the deer and not the SPOT.
  You are getting close. I missed the first 9 I shot at.  ;D
  Looking forward to your first kill soon.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:54:12 pm »
Like Pat said, "Aim small, Miss small"

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »
The beauty of hunting with a bow is having those really close encounters.  Even if you miss, there's still something really satisfying about even having a shot, and being able to get that close to such a wary creature.

Good luck and shoot straight! I'm going to attempt my first longbow hunt in a couple weeks, so I may require a bit of luck my way too :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:43:06 pm »
I really wish I lived close enough so that when you get that first deer you could call me to come help haul it out of the woods with you.  You the man, Tom!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
Tom, my wife accuses me of missing on purpose so I don't have an excuse to quit hunting.  I've adopted that excuse for all misses now.  The cool thing about primitive archery is that you'll get so many second shots.  I have killed 2 does that were sniffing the first arrow.  It is gonna happen for you.  Keep on hunting.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:08:16 pm »
Misses will make you really appreciate that great shot when it happens. Keep at it!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

youngbowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »
had a point blank range shot today at a small deer that still had a couple of spots, i did the ethical thing and let it pass. We are going to have temps this week hovering around the 70's so it should be great weather to shoot a doe.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 11:28:13 pm »
Tom,

I might pass a fawn because I didn't think the small amount of meat was worth the work, because I wanted to let a button buck grow up or because I didn't want to use up a tag if they weren't giving out many. There's no ethics issue.  In fact, the farmer in Illinois that let me hunt asked me to shoot him a fawn every season.  Best eating on the planet. However, I applaud you making a management decision and sticking with it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:54:16 am »
had a point blank range shot today at a small deer that still had a couple of spots, i did the ethical thing and let it pass. We are going to have temps this week hovering around the 70's so it should be great weather to shoot a doe.

I respect your choice ! On the other hand, my wildlife management side says that young of the year are the harvestable surplus Spots or not, they are tasty and good for the overall herd health. Keep at it!

Tracy

youngbowyer

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:24:57 pm »
i know that the meat would have been really good to eat but I don't think the owners of the property would have been happy with me. They are mostly trophy hunters and don't care much for hunting for meat which is really what i'm after.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:16 pm »

Translation: I was shaking so bad I dropped the arrows!

Atta boy, Tom.  Kinda cool being that close to an animal that generally is aware of every predatory animal within 100 yds, isn't it?  I can't wait to see your red arrow, and I know it will happen.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:49:52 am »
i know that the meat would have been really good to eat but I don't think the owners of the property would have been happy with me. They are mostly trophy hunters and don't care much for hunting for meat which is really what i'm after.

Ah, yes...that is another excellent reason to pass a fawn. ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »
I'm rootin' for ya.  Good luck!
1’—>1’

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:59 pm »
Good reason to pass on the fawn, especially if you're a guest and an opportunity to hunt ;) Good luck and show us the pics!

Tracy