Author Topic: Hunting in the rain with selfbow question  (Read 5510 times)

Offline shaun748

Hunting in the rain with selfbow question
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:46:50 pm »
I got my Hickory selfbow sealed up pretty good with paraffin , but it is supposed to be raining fairly steady during my whole hunting weekend.   I am just wondering if I should take out another bow so I don't risk additional set in my hickory or should I be fine..Thanks.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Hunting in the rain with selfbow question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:04:03 pm »
As long as it isn't in the rain for proloned periods of time, I think you should be fine. Get it nice and dry if it does get wet, which it will..... ::)

Good luck!
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:46:49 pm »
Just wipe it off after the hunt. I use hickory in the rain all the time, and mine only have a few coats of linseed on 'em. Should be fine, especially heavier bows (60# and up).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:05:24 am »
It takes a while for moisture to get into a sealed bow. High humidity probably effects a self bow worst than a rain shower. Wipe your bow down well after the hunt and unbraced it as soon as you can. If you carry a soft rag with oil(linseed, tung, etc)on it in a ziplock bag and wipe the bow down after you have dried it you should be OK.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »
I've got a little different opinion after hunting in a torrential downpour for 12 hours. I know guy's in the Northwest are used to hunting in the rain,but I'm talking about 8" in a day.Wood bow performance does a steep nose dive.I had a snake skin with a Massey Finnish and Truoil turn to scary mush after about 8 hours.That was after hunting in rain to the point I was shaking from mild Hypothermia.I also retired the Bamboo backed Osage.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?