Author Topic: Found a board...  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Calamitus

Found a board...
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:29 pm »
Will it make a bow?

These two were taken with the same surface on top

Back and belly?

Offline sleek

Re: Found a board...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:42 pm »
If its your first, hold off, but I am willing to bet a bow can be had of that. You just have to make sure as many lines ( the growth rings on edge ) as possable stay inside the profile of your bow. I dont know how long it is, but i am guessing 8 ft? I would make that bow wide as possable, not over 45 lbs, maybe 70 inches 68 at the minimum, with a 27 inch draw and a stiff handle or 28 with a bendy, and a shorter, maybe 66 inches long bow. You will not have a straight bow there, it will have character, and thats a good thing!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:25:15 pm »
This board is a 6 ft 1x3. I am looking for a bow ~68", 40-45# at 28", stiff handle. The bend in the grain is not centered. If I kept only the grain that stayed within the edges it would only be about 1" wide or a bit more possibly, so it looks like the search continues...

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
You can use that board, but others will be better. You just make the bow curve with the grain. See, the thing is, there is no such thing as ANY bow with no grain run out. As the limbs taper, the grain is cut across and runs off each side of the bow. If layed out right, that bow can actually have just as much strength as a perfect board bow. Point is, all the grain doesnt have to be centered. Make that bow at the fades 2 inches wide, curve with the grain, and you will do fine. I would get the board, then keep looking. You can use it later on when you have more experience, and have a neat bow....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:33 pm »
Those grain lines that are wandering off the edge you want straight tip to tip. Also, look at the edge grain for straightness. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »
I have gotten away with several hickory board bows with that kind of grain run off.  But then, I also deeply rounded off the edges on the back and layed on a rawhide backing, wrapping it down over the edges.  But chances are, you will find better grain than that board, be patient and good things will come to you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:40:55 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, I decided to return that piece, I wasn't sure I could line up the nocks with the handle anyway. I decided to try a billet board bow, found a perfect 1x6x4' 1/4 sawn with no run ups. Once it's spliced the build is the same, correct?

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »
yep, once it's glued up go for it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:54:36 pm »
be patient and good things will come to you.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson