Author Topic: Rookie HERE  (Read 1034 times)

Offline chub83

Rookie HERE
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:29:44 am »
  Ok Guys,

I am new to flintknapping I went to flint ridge and bought a lil kit and it had a buch of flakes I guess you would call em alot of really thick stuff (bout 3/4 of a inch tapered to paper thin I am staring to get good shapes just cant thin the really thick parts down without making the pieces to small to work any tips on what i can do I was thinking about getting some raw rock? maybe? Keep in mind I am a week old rookie.  I love to do it the little time I have done it. I will sit and knapp for hours and if the point breaks i move on and try another  my wife just comes out and shakes her head.  Wow did I just ramble on My question is what size and kind of rock or material would be good to start with (I've tried glass I can work it well) but want to make it as authentic as I can would eventually like to hunt with em.  I know this is a timely proccess and love just getting the basics down.  The Knapping bug got me :o!!!!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Rookie HERE
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »
Welcome amigo !  The bug is what it is.Check out you tube for techniques and stay tuned to this channel,you'll get all the help you can stand.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline chub83

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:05:02 pm »
thanks where is a good place to get rock I live in western pa

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:39:53 pm »
Sounds hauntingly familiar several years ago. My wife shook her head one too many times and recently started joining me in the pit >:D

Not sure about rock in PA, but keep going west into OH and you should be into some.

Welcome aboard!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:45:38 pm »
Chub, I,m also from NW Penna. I get alot of my rock at knapins or from differnt online sites. I,m from Waterford, just south of Erie, maybe we can get togeather an do a little knappin. Later Bob

Offline chub83

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:19:07 pm »
my wife says she will do a lot with me but sitting on a stump busting rocks up is not her thing!!! ;D

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:42:20 pm »
Welcome to the addiction.  Don't worry your wife will get involved the first time you ask her to put a rock from the local steak house in her purse. Knapping is a very satisfying hobby. It does from time to time require a blood letting sacrifice. Most knappers are unaware it is coming, & don't regret the loss.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chub83

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »
lol not to worried bout her shes great lets me do what i want.  But back to the flint I have a piece stuck in me as we speak gonna start surgery here in a few minutes I love making something outta nothing that is what got me hooked on knapping I'm still at the point that when I'm done it looks like a deformed arrowhead well maybe a rock that if you look at it with your head turned right and tongue held right it looks like an arrowhead but anyway it's rewarding and fun.