Author Topic: fletchings  (Read 15651 times)

gene roberts

fletchings
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:52:55 am »
What is the best thing to use to fletch arrows with(besides turkey).do crow feathers work? ???  Does it matter with what they will be used for?I'll use mine with nutters to kill squirrels.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fletchings
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 11:58:46 am »
Any feathers will work. What you are doing is adding drag to the arrow so the tail follows the front. Be aware that some feathers(song birds, raptors and others) are federally protected and it could get costly if you are caught using them. Crow feathers are probably OK because folks hunt crows but I would check your local regs before using any of them.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gene roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 12:04:19 pm »
thanks,i do hunt crows alot and have tail and wing feathers,wich are better??? 8)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 12:10:17 pm »
Probably either will work equally well. With a 3 fletch design the tail or secondary wing feathers would be best. Lay the feathers(whole) down on the shaft up side down, 3 around the shaft and wrap them on. You will be surprised how well they will fly.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:10:42 pm »
I would think wing feathers would be better, but I haven't used tail..... but like Pat said, any feathers will work.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

gene roberts

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:26:41 pm »
thanks for your opinions

arrowmaker

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:43:23 pm »
I have a friend who works in the local ZOO I have tried-peacock- eagle- raven swan,never tried crow thanks get some and try
Fred (arrowmaker)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 06:56:17 pm »
I have used crow feathers.  They are federally protected, but have hunting seasons in many states. Feathers taken legally during hunting season can be used.  I like primary feathers, they add more spin to the arrow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

gene roberts

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 07:27:23 pm »
thank you

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 08:02:31 pm »
I've used crow feathers for Eastern woodland-style two-feather fletching, work pretty good. I like the tail feathers for those because they lay flatter to the shaft. Crow feathers are also good for the Cherokee/Creek-style radial fletching with three feathers laid flat on the shaft.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gene roberts

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 08:53:30 pm »
thanks

arrowmaker

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 04:00:57 am »
One thing there is someone out there who has the knowledge are your crows in USA the same as here in GB. or a your bigger then our,s.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:52 am »
There are actually several species of crow in the US.  The common crow is naturally the most common.  It is around 17-20 inches long, with a wing span around 3 feet. The carion crow of GB is about 18-20 inches from what I understand.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

arrowmaker

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 12:20:16 pm »
THANKS looks me starts crow hunting  >:Dwhen I get back home
Fred

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 05:49:40 pm »
Is it legal there?  Justin

SW Utah