Author Topic: fletchings  (Read 15654 times)

gene roberts

Re: fletchings
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 06:03:08 pm »
i dont know if it is where he lives.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 09:20:32 pm »
Hey! If ya ever get more feathers than you need I will always be willing to take them off your hands!  ;D

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 10:05:51 pm »
D. Tiller what kind of feathers? for fletchings i have a few turk-ie and maybe more if i get a gobbler or hen in the fall season
Modern Day Tramp

gene roberts

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 10:16:10 pm »
thanks,i got enough crow and turkey.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 04:40:04 pm »
D. Tiller what kind of feathers? for fletchings i have a few turk-ie and maybe more if i get a gobbler or hen in the fall season

I sure could use some Turkey feathers. I'm making up some medieval style arrows to use in reenactment and hunting. Can ya IM me and we can go over the feathers? I can use anything though thats arround 6 - 7" long.

Thanks!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Harrifer

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 04:55:08 pm »
I'm not a terribly experienced fletcher.

My first arrows had pigeon feather fletching, since it was all I had at the time and I just wanted to shoot. They were absolutely rubbish. I did combine them with some I found from a sparrowhawk once but they were just as bad.

I havent tried crow, but I have a few crow feathers lying around, could make some cool arrows, sort of evil looking.

My current set are fletched with Canada Goose feathers that I found. They were primary wing feathers and were enourmous, and very rigid. I found them very good, but since I don't hunt (illegal in the UK+canada goose doesn't taste that good) I have to work with droppers.

Does anyone know if its possible to get hold of domestic goose feathers from a butchers? Could be interesting.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 08:43:21 pm »
Hi Harrifer,  my advice would be to get round to some friendly farmers round here in Surrey (avoid the F&M affected though).. Many farmr raise geese for the table or for watchdogs, and hey, "Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat....."
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

gene roberts

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:27 am »
sounds good

makete

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:07 am »
I've used crow feathers for Eastern woodland-style two-feather fletching, work pretty good. I like the tail feathers for those because they lay flatter to the shaft. Crow feathers are also good for the Cherokee/Creek-style radial fletching with three feathers laid flat on the shaft.
               Would really like to see a pic of this style.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 11:44:50 am »
I'll try to get a pic up when I get a few minutes-might be a couple days. Are you interested in the two-feather, or the radial?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gene roberts

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 06:32:33 pm »
i'd like to see both

Offline Kegan

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »
Here's the Eastern two-fletch (with turkey).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 06:02:52 pm »
D. Tiller i dont have IM but i can speak over the post, i dont have any wing feathers for fletchings right now but if this upcoming fall season works out and i get a turkey i would be glad to maybe send some to you
Modern Day Tramp