Author Topic: Yew Arrow Rack  (Read 8807 times)

Timmah

Yew Arrow Rack
« on: September 23, 2007, 03:47:13 am »
Well I woke up this morning after a few to many drinkies last night having already missed archery practice. I figured that I would use the rest of the day to finish some projects. I opened the shed door and spotted a big piece of Pacific Yew lying on the floor. It was no good for bows but such beautiful timber can’t be wasted. So I decided to put it to good use; starting yet another project…

Here are the results and a rough build-a-long below although its pretty simple.

Apologies for the unfinished arrows in the pics - a set of war arrows that are included in the above mentioned unfinished projects :-)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:55:14 am by Timmah »

Timmah

Re: Yew Arrow Rack
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 03:50:06 am »
First I cut all the pieces to length. I didn't have any plans it was all just in my head. Length didn't matter to much as long as both of the vertical pieces were the same. Then cut the angles. 60deg for the top on both vertical pieces. 30deg on the bottoms. I then gave it all a rough sand. Next would be to glue it all up. I used TiteBond III.

I decided that the joins would not be strong enough with just glue. I planned to use the top of the triangle to hang it on the wall. I didn’t want to use nails or screws but dowel would be too thick. I had a rummage in the kitchen drawer and found a nice strong bamboo skewer – Perfect! A couple of holes and a bit of glue. I did the same for the bottom.

Once the Glue had dried I sanded her all down and applied the wax to finish the job.

The clips I used are from 3rivers and cost hardly anything. Thankfully I had some lying around. A few small brass timber screws to hold them on - pre-drilling the holes of course; I didn’t want to split the timber.

I left the screws slightly loose so that I could gently adjust the angle of the arrows once I clipped them in.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:57:55 am by Timmah »

makete

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:19:43 am »
WOW this looks like art. Frank Loyd Wright would be proud.Doing this with a fog head and haveing it come out so nice is amazing. I couldnt even make a good cup of coffee after a night of drinking. Dont drink anymore though.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:32:51 am »
Cool way to display your arrows on the wall - looks good. Will store that away in my memory banks :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:19:11 am »
bamboo skewers for dowels- good idea !!

fine arrow rack !
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:56:02 am »
Nice looking project there.  The only problem is, I would have to make prettier arrows to display.  Building a fancy display for my arrows, is like putting a basement in an outhouse, it just don't belong.  :P Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

arrowmaker

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:35:24 pm »
My Friend a work of art ;D do you mind if I nick your idea >:D I have a  couple of bits of English Oak and 1 bit of walnut for base french polished they would come out very nice
Fred (ARROWMAKER)

Timmah

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:07:19 am »
I was really pleased with the way it all turned out. The skewers worked really really well. I still have some timber left so I thought I might use the same "skewer" technique for some photo frames...

Fred, mate, steal away! I'll even get out the tape measure and work out the dimensions for you if you like :-)

Cheers,
Tim

arrowmaker

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 11:18:36 am »
YES PLEASE TIM ;D ;D ;D E-MAIL ME fred@jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
FRED
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:22:36 am by arrowmaker »

Offline Loki

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 04:17:07 am »
Oh i've got to make myself one of those! thats the finest looking arrow stand i've seen,wonderful!

Andy
Durham,England

DBernier

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:34:53 am »
TIMMAH, you could also use round tooth picks for small dowels. They work fine. BTW nice job on the rack.

Dick