Author Topic: hickory worm wood  (Read 4050 times)

Offline anasazi

hickory worm wood
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:03:09 am »
I have some hickory worm wood flooring i was wondering if it would make a decent  bow?  I believe it is heartwood  from the darker color. Do you think it would work?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: hickory worm wood
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:57:44 pm »
I asume you mean hickory with worm holes in it.

This hickory had a few tiny powder post beetle holes in it. This is what you can expect when you get your bow bending, BOOM!

Offline anasazi

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »
That's kinda what i thought thanks for your input

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »
Still good for smoking in your barbecue, just not good for smoking deer in the woods.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »
or you could blend your own custom absinthe  8)
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline anasazi

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:35 am »
I would love to be able to tell every one i was strong enough to break a bow only problem is i am enough of a wuss no one would believe it well that and from what I've read its not something i want to recreate on purpose  never tried smoking with it ill have to give that a try thanks

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:49 am »
  OSAGE YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH WORM HOLES HICKORY YOU CAN'T.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 11:14:11 am »
Here is why to steer away from wood with worm holes in ANY bow wood.

Those little pin holes you may see on the surface are only the tip of the iceberg. I was splitting some red oak for firewood that powder post beetles had attacked, the picture shows what the little buggers are really up to. The right of the picture would be the back of a bow, the left the belly.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:17:56 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 11:20:50 am »
Yep seen that before here too in a few of my hickory staves only I did'nt try to make a bow from them.Real tiny holes they were.The log those staves came from had been setting in the woods a couple of weeks.That's where and when those buggers moved in.New staves from fresh cut logs should be put immediately either in your house or in a shed off of the ground,and yep old hedge is'nt bothered by that at all.Love that good hickory wood for a bow though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:54 am »
Beware! I got permission to cut osage on a place the trees had been cut down for 6 months during a clearing operation. Powder post beetles had gone in the tops of the osage logs and come out the bottom with damage to the wood just like the red oak picture.

The good news is powder post beetles will not be found everywhere and wood wasps are the main problem for osage. When I lived in a small city none of my osage was attacked by powder post beetles. When I moved to the country home surrounded by woods I had a plague of them.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 11:37:51 am »
I know i can get hickory boards but are there Osage boards out there i am trying to get ideas for the boy scouts next bow building project the ones they are doing now have taken them almost a year and they're not quite to the tillering stage yet not to many trees grow hear that are worth much as far as bow wood goes