Author Topic: draw weight guestimate  (Read 1184 times)

Offline anasazi

draw weight guestimate
« on: September 15, 2012, 04:02:07 am »
I was reading a old article about some one wanting to do a bison hunt and there where plenty of people suggesting he go with a heavier draw weight and arrow weight. But what do you think the draw weight of  (more particularly the shorter plains bow) the NA bows where?  I know at least after the introduction of the horse they probably got pretty close to the bison  when hunting but what do you think there draw weight was and the average arrow weight was?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: draw weight guestimate
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:11:23 pm »
I believe that most NA hunting bows were relatively light draw weight, in the 45# range or less. Some did have bows reaching 100# but they were more for war time I believe.  The way and reasons they hunted and the way and reasons we hunt are totally different. Today we are more ethical with our hunting and I'm not saying NAs were  or are not ethical. They hunted for survival and we hunt for sport.
  You can kill any animal in North America with a 45# bow but most opt to shoot a bow as heavy as they can to narrow the chances of loosing a wounded animal. Shoot what is comfortable you you to shoot under all conditions. Good shot placemrent with a well tuned arrow and a very sharp broadhead are more important. IMO.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline anasazi

Re: draw weight guestimate
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:44:45 pm »
I currently shoot a 48# and have two bows in the works that i hope will end up in the 55-60# range but have just been curious about it for a while and haven't found any info on them