Author Topic: Fastest traditional bows on record?  (Read 37474 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Fastest traditional bows on record?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
  JW, bring your wife, it takes at leasst two.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »
Oh great.  Now I have to play the part of a wife, too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »
Oh great.  Now I have to play the part of a wife, too.

I had to read the last few posts of this thread to my wife...she had a good laugh
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 10:59:10 pm »
Leave it to JW to get a chuckle in this.
Bryce.....I go to at least a half dozen 3D shoots a year with half a dozen shooter friends along with.Shooting mostly glass bows but a few self bows like mine in there too.I shoot 560 to 590 grain arrows at everything with 55# bows.I know what a quiet bow sounds like.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »
I shot three white tailed deer last fall.One at 20 yards,one at 12 yards,and one at 8 yards all with my noisey above standard speed self bow.No silencers just the string.Two from the ground and one from the tree.They did'nt flinch an inch after release.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 01:16:26 am »
I must say in my experience, a silent bow is almost a necessity! That way when i zip my first shot over the deers back :-[,  they look towards the racket of my arrow ricochetting through the brush instead of looking towards me.  Then, with a little luck, I can nock another arrow, calm down and try again.  I hate to admit how often that scenario has played out over the years.  Especially when hunting from tree stands.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:44 am »
Leave it to JW to get a chuckle in this.
Bryce.....I go to at least a half dozen 3D shoots a year with half a dozen shooter friends along with.Shooting mostly glass bows but a few self bows like mine in there too.I shoot 560 to 590 grain arrows at everything with 55# bows.I know what a quiet bow sounds like.

i figured. i was just sharing my experience :)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

mikekeswick

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 04:44:27 am »
I've made a few that shoot over 180fps at 10gpp.
I've just finished a weird hornbow that is shooting at 175fps at 10gpp and i'm only drawing it 25 at the moment - I think it has a few more inches of draw in it.
I'm working on a yew recurve at the moment which has a lot of potential. Most of it is sapwood....light. The heartwood is just hanging on in there and hopefully I won't run out!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:21 am »
Mike.....I've only made a half dozen or so that shot in the mid to upper 160s' at 52 to 55 pounds.I'm just finishing a hickory,horn,sinew here too that is my fastest bow to date.Settling in in the low 170s'.I've got too say this speed thing is good as long as its' kept equal and fair and even then there are so many variables.A person better be ready to explode some bows too.I've only made three dozen or so bows in the last three years,but I do a lot of shooting.The first year I made 18 bows with a hatchet,draw knife,and a file.I've got a bandsaw now.What a God send.Your building them closer to the edge than me.I'm no expert but I've been hunting all of my life [mostly competition coon hunting at least 225 nights a year in the woods]and am sorry to be so hard on Bryce and half eye but I won't be fed a bunch of balony.I'm sure they mean well.I try not to say anything on here unless I've done it or lived it.
Gun Doc......I hear ya about the Hail Mary shot.Happens to me too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 10:49:41 am »
Oh Gun Doc I was being ironic in saying my self bow was noisey.I was trying to make a joke OK?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
I know you were jokin Ed.  Ive shot right next to you and know how quiet your bows are.  I don't have any silencers or doodads on bows either and they're pretty quiet as well.  I am just surprised to see folks discrediting the value of a quiet bow.  It is simple fact that no matter how fast our arrows are traveling the sound is faster.  The less sound is always better IMHO.  Josh

Offline boughnut

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 11:59:54 am »
Have yall ever been down range of an arrow with real feathers not plastic on it?  Well I have some idot shot while I was pulling my arrows from the target as well as every one else was to.  I  never heard the bow but the buzzing of the feathers was loud as heck.  I think more often than not they hear the feathers buzzing more than the bow. the best way I can descibe it is scary as can be but really it shouded like a swarm of bees was inside my ears.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:35 pm »
luckly no one was hurt.  and the guy was swiftly booted from the range and band for life.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »
Have yall ever been down range of an arrow with real feathers not plastic on it?  Well I have some idot shot while I was pulling my arrows from the target as well as every one else was to.  I  never heard the bow but the buzzing of the feathers was loud as heck.  I think more often than not they hear the feathers buzzing more than the bow. the best way I can descibe it is scary as can be but really it shouded like a swarm of bees was inside my ears.

I have to admit I never thought of that and I have had arrows come close to me.  They are loud, you can easily hear them from at least 20 yards away
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »
Gun Doc.......I agree the quieter the better for sure.My point was that you can have an above standard speed shooting self bow that is quiet too that's all.I should'nt even be on this thread because I sure don't have the fastest self bow on record here......LOL.
Hey you know I talked to you about the length of time a snake skin should dry on sinew.Well this bow was reverse braced during sinewing,then after applying the snake skin with titebond 3 it started to lose reflex without reverse bracing it again so I quickly reverse braced it within 8 hours and am going to let it dry for 2 and 1/2 weeks by God.Hopefully I got it back.It showed a loss of 3/8ths of an inch is all but every bit helps.I'll see.Got tweve days by me already,just a week more.Feel like a male dog next to a female inheat and I can't touch it.......LOL.
BowEd
Ed