Author Topic: Successful opening weekend  (Read 17252 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Successful opening weekend
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »

Pappy is going to have quite a few deer pictures to show after this opening weekend. The club had a deer contest with teams of three combining a shoot score and opening weekend of hunting. A hunting buddy and I didn't get in the contest (Pappy has been riding us pretty hard) :).

We both were successful yesterday with Keith harvesting a 6 pt. buck with a hickory bow I gave him a couple of years ago. His buck yesterday made eleven deer he has taken with that bow, with this weekend starting his third year of using it. I took a young buck yesterday evening, and another young buck this morning. I was using my copperhead bow, and had great penetration with both shots. Both deer were down inside of 60 yards. I'm going to take off from hunting this evening, and skin deer.  :)

Pappy took a nice doe yesterday with his sinew backed osage bow. Ron (8UP) also took a nice buck with his newly finished bamboo backed selfbow. This evening will end the competition, and hopefully the walkin cooler will hold all the deer!

Surprising successful hunting with all the deer brought in so far this weekend considering the extremely warm temperatures. Pappy will have pictures I'm sure by Monday... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Successful opening weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 04:36:08 pm »
newly finished bamboo backed selfbow.
??? ??? bamboo backed selfbow?   ??? ???  Well congratulations to everyone.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 04:51:44 pm »
I'm drooling again ;D. Naw, can't wait fer tha pic's.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 04:57:49 pm »
I'm pissed! >:(  What about MEEEEEEE! ;D     Congratulations to all. That is fantastic. I can hardly wait for the pics.     Thanks for the info, Greg. Now go skin them deers.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:32:03 am »
Justin, I guess 8UP's bow would be considered a backed bow and not selfbow. It was his first backed bow and he was very proud of it.

I guess you guys will have to wait until tomorrow for the pics, Pappy took off today and he usually does his posting from work! ;D

Got my deer skinned and cooling in the fridge at home as we speak...hmm, should I steak out those backstrips or make roasts out of them? ;)
Greg

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:49:43 am »
Cut em 3/4" thick - season, double batter and chicken fry. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:04:57 am »
Cut em 3/4" thick - season, double batter and chicken fry. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm :).

;) ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 01:28:53 pm »
Sounds like a great weekend of hunting. Mmmmmm backstraps. I like to cut 'em into thin medallions, whack 'em with a meat hammer, brown on both sides in a cast iron pan, then add a little water and a lid, turn down the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Add fried taters and biscuits. Stab  anybody who gets near your plate with a fork. Eat until your belly hurts. (notice that I included a vegetable (fried taters) in honor of your new improved healthy diet )  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 02:03:23 pm »

All those recipe's sound really good. Two complete deer were consumed Saturday at the club, probably another one at least Sunday.

One of the ways it was prepared this weekend was marinated backstraps cut at least 1" thick, grilled over charcoal and quickly snatched off the platter as quickly as it was placed there off the grill. Everyone was hovering around the grill and eating with their fingers trying hard not to burn the inside of the mouth cause the meat was so hot! ;D

You guys know what I'm talkin' about don't you? ;)

I heard it was extremely good, not that I would have first hand knowledge being on a veggie diet and all... ;D
Greg

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 06:00:45 pm »
I would have let you fight over that Greg.  I would have been hiding in the corner with a frying pan full of fresh liver sliced about 3/8" thick and fried up in a pan with as much onion as liver.  :o Justin

SW Utah

8up

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 04:20:31 am »
Congrats Greg. I got my second buck today.

Justin I threw out all the liver from ours

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:35:45 am »
Congrats Greg. I got my second buck today.

That's great Ron! What did you get? :)
Greg

brokennock

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:56:01 pm »
Sounds like a great weekend. Please don't be offended, but I have to play the devil's wet blanket here. I hope I'm not the only one, but something inside me cringes when hunting (or fishing) becomes a competition between people. I thought it was supposed to be us competing against dinner. With our prize being great experiences and food. We lose and go hungry.  Just a thought.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 01:27:27 pm »
No offence taken,to each there own,and it is against them and this weekend some of
them lost.It a lot about good fellowship with us and we use all we take. :)I am sorry if it
made you cringe but life is full of cringes. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 12:49:59 am »
Congratulations on a successful weekend hunt. I'm leaving Friday for my 2nd weekend hunt this year. I may not be as picky if the same opportunity comes around as I was on the last hunt.
  Brokennock, I don't see this as a competition but more as folks cheering one another on.  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC