Author Topic: osage hunting bow, hollow limb design, 85/26 (No. 8)  (Read 11330 times)

Offline Badger

Re: osage hunting bow, hollow limb design, 85#/26"
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »
  Your bow is truly dished out compared to the Adcock bows which were only slightly dished toward the tips. The Adcock bow just turned out to be a case of skinny tips with no effect from the hollowed out limb, just hype in other words. I would be interested in how well your bow performs as well.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:50 pm »
Very unique and extremely beautiful bow. Well crafted, I love everything about this bow.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Hunter Van Winkle

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:53 pm »
You say hollow limb design, and cross section is like a pipe?

Does this mean cross section is round or....? Like a canoe?

Offline NruJaC

• Personal Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:37:20 pm »
You say hollow limb design, and cross section is like a pipe?

Does this mean cross section is round or....? Like a canoe?

Take a look at his other thread, it's much easier to see it there. In essence, it looks kinda like

back C belly

Where the C is the shape of the limb.
Arjun from Reston, VA

Offline rps3

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 02:47:41 am »
I like the amount of recurve you put in the bow, but it looks like your limbs have small cracks right at the bend on the belly side. Did you use steam, and do you think those cracks will pose a problem down the road?

Tiller is sweet.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 08:21:14 am »
do you just round the back and invert the belly? How do you find the correct radius? Do you use a special tool for tillering?

The back is the natural grown grothring in its origin shape, I do not bend a radius in a flat limb or so ... . The belly is hollowed out with this tools
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/medias/sys_master/700945V_01_P_WE_4.jpg
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/medias/sys_master/711071_01_P_WE_4.jpg
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/medias/sys_master/703516_01_P_WE_4.jpg
and sandpaper

you have always to measure the thickness with a caliper. I made my own with a pencil hold on one side by a srew-nut so I can easily attach different thickness. Hope you understand my bad english ...

I would be interested in how well your bow performs as well.

Steve, please point me in the right direction. should I do some testings? IMO the hollow limbs are more springy (hope this is the right word) compared to flat limbs, in case of this bow there is really a lot of early drawweight.

I like the amount of recurve you put in the bow, but it looks like your limbs have small cracks right at the bend on the belly side. Did you use steam, and do you think those cracks will pose a problem down the road?

rps3 you are right, there are small cracks from recurve steaming/bending, they are not deep and I filled them with glue. So no problem, here is the stiff area of the levers.

thank you all for your input, very interesting!
I'm glad, I found this site ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany