Author Topic: Super Fast or Really Sweet...your choice?  (Read 5606 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Super Fast or Really Sweet...your choice?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:35 pm »
i just shoot for the fastest, smoothest bow, sometimes i get it and sometimes not, none of my bows hit warp speed or anything, but i get a quick one now and again, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 03:37:07 pm »
Well some people may like to drive their old 1970 F150 with coil ignition, carburetors and big inefficient engine but a lot of people prefer to drive a modern truck with fuel injection, electronic, ignition aluminum engine parts to make them lighter and other improvements.  You can even have a smaller engine and throw on a supercharger to get the same performance as a big block engine.  Personally I sort of prefer the more modern trucks but that's just me

If you were to follow that line of reason to its logical conclusion, one might take it that you are now firmly in the wheelie bow camp.  Say it ain't so Marc!    >:D Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »
  I was thinking the same thing Gun Dock, bit I know better.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »
Oh its true. I seen him at the range last week when I was in Quebec. My camera battery died and I couldnt get a pic to prove it, made me cry.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »
To me the best of all worlds is in R/D designs if built and done right. You still get above average performance,the tension at brace remains tight and you feel the "weight" right away when ya start pulling,and then the pull to full draw is steady n constant and smoooooooth like a recurve(but you don't get the noisy "slap" ya sometimes get with sharp statics),and the release is smooth as well,and ZERO handshock if done right,and finally that deflexed handle creates a forgiving shot maintaining great accuracy. I'm a big fan,and guess what my go to hunting bow is???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 05:25:19 pm »
"Curvey" the static recurve?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »
Well some people may like to drive their old 1970 F150 with coil ignition, carburetors and big inefficient engine but a lot of people prefer to drive a modern truck with fuel injection, electronic, ignition aluminum engine parts to make them lighter and other improvements.  You can even have a smaller engine and throw on a supercharger to get the same performance as a big block engine.  Personally I sort of prefer the more modern trucks but that's just me

If you were to follow that line of reason to its logical conclusion, one might take it that you are now firmly in the wheelie bow camp.  Say it ain't so Marc!    >:D Josh

Oh darn, gave myself away  :).  If that were the case I would be driving around a dragster, not the best looking of vehicles but fast.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:34 pm »
To me the best of all worlds is in R/D designs if built and done right. You still get above average performance,the tension at brace remains tight and you feel the "weight" right away when ya start pulling,and then the pull to full draw is steady n constant and smoooooooth like a recurve(but you don't get the noisy "slap" ya sometimes get with sharp statics),and the release is smooth as well,and ZERO handshock if done right,and finally that deflexed handle creates a forgiving shot maintaining great accuracy. I'm a big fan,and guess what my go to hunting bow is???

I have to admit that I grab an RD bow most of the time when I go hunting.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline johnston

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 12:08:02 am »
Thanks for all the comments guys. And I did not mean to imply that it was an either/or
issue it just came out sounding like that.
Also, I like my bows to be quick but have never tried to max one out. Now if I had the
skills you guys have....who knows?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 10:14:14 am »
Interesting thread...  I am still at the stage of hoping the dang things hold together!  I think I get what you were saying Lane.  I checked out a guys osage bow the other day.  He was so proud to have zero string follow and that it pulled over 60lbs.  It was over built and really didn't make me happy to shoot it - shook my eye teeth a little.  He accomplished what he set out to do, so that is cool.  It seems like building bows can be like trying for the perfect golf swing... if you focus on one characteristic too much, you will screw up on something else and end up with a dawg.  I have a bow that is a probably the fastest one I have built, but it hurts to shoot it, I can't shoot it as accurately, and I just don't lilke it.   My favorites have an inch or two of set, don't rattle my teeth, and I shoot them better.  That is probably due to the fact that I will shoot them more, since they shoot sweet.  I am trying for fastest, sweetest shooting bow that I can build, just like everybody else.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 11:45:07 am »
For the first year just to get a bow to shoot was an accomplishment for me.Always with B50 string taking heed to friends warnings about fast flight.Then I met another fella that is I guess you could call him  the investigator.He's always testing testing testing everything bows,arrows,string etc.He told me he'd been shooting fast flight on his self bows for ten years or more with no ill effects at all.So I tried it.It enhanced things on my bows.Arrow speed to me is done in little bits.Here and there.Give and take.Each to his own.All I can say is try it see what happens.We all make enough bows to take a risk.Making different designs and trying to make a more efficient bow is my way of not getting bored making the same thing over and over.
As far as design goes it is hard to beat a R/D design for everything a person likes.Bendy handle 62" Osage is one of my very favorites.
Oh this friend of mine gets on this Pirates of Archery site where they test bows.They are the real deal.He said the only person who sent a self bow to them to test was Badger and it performed great.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:48 pm »
I'll say this though perfection is achieved by making the same thing over and over that's for sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed