Author Topic: What kind of bows  (Read 10510 times)

gene roberts

What kind of bows
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:37:33 pm »
what kind of bows do you use?
I use an old Herters 50# at 28 inches

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: What kind of bows
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:40:15 pm »
Nothing but a bunch of home made, second rate bows for this simpleton.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

gene roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:54:02 pm »
cool,mine is bout 5 years old.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 11:04:17 pm »
I shoot a selfbow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:44:11 pm »
Hi Gene,    I'm assuming you're new to this site, if you'll read back through the previous posts you'll see the sort of bows every one is making and shooting.  I personally make and shoot mostly self bows, or sinew backed bows.  The fun comes in making each one a little different.  An english longbow here, a plains style reflex/decurve there, etc.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 12:24:46 am »
The hunting bow I made for this year is a 60" osage self bow with static recurve tips. She pulls 56#@26" and sends my sourwood shoot arrows with(somebody else's) rhyolite or obsidian stone points hafted to the business end, with authority. For back-up bows I have another 60" osage self bow that is 50/50% sap/heart wood with static recurved tips(57#@26") or a 65" boo backed bow with yew core and osage belly(53@26') or a 59 1/2" boo with hickory core and osage belly(52#@26") or my newest addition "Lil Bow", 48" rawhide backed osage self bow I just posted the other day. She pulls 54#@24". If I get a critter with each of these bows I may bring out my Mike Treadway "Moose Horn" long bow. It is the bow I got my first trad kill with and has medicine! 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:31:10 pm »
My bow is real piece of junk compared to Justins second rate bows...bamboo backed maple.  I can barely hit the tennis balls out there at precisely 17 .5 yards.  Hope I dont get a shot at 18....I may have to hold high to hit it. (all tongue in cheek by the way)

My boo/maple is my bow this year.  I have a (gulp) black glass binghams project that I have used for the last ten years that will serve as a good backup if I cannot bloody this wood stick.  HOPEFULLY this weekend she will get christened.

gene roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:29:46 pm »
i'm going down to pappy's place (twin oaks) with skyler wilson.i think both of us are gonna make a self bow.

gene roberts

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 05:35:09 pm »
sorry mine is acctualy bout 50 years old i forgot to clik the "0"

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:34:27 pm »
After testing... experimenting... and a little more testing... I'm going with sinew backed D's. They seem to like me :).

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:41:26 pm »
Hickory self bow - best shooter I have at the moment :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:01:24 pm »
  I'm shooting a sinew backed Osage,and Bamboo backed Osage,and Pat's "Medicine Bow" this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 11:04:11 pm »
All self bows. I've tended to go about things bass-ackwards; started with hickory backed-mulberry, hickory-backed hickory, and hickory-backed osage; now doing linen-backed osage and linen-backed ash. (Maybe for Christmas this year Santa will bring me some sinew.)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 11:57:31 pm »
Osage self bow, 58"ntn  46lb@24" it's a good shooter, I hope to get something with it this fall.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:36:32 pm »
I shoot al kinds of self bows with a few sinew and rawhide backed bows thrown in. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good