Author Topic: Feather processing jig  (Read 7701 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Feather processing jig
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:48 am »
Does anyone have any pictures of a homemade feather processing jig.  I just looked at the one on 3Rivers and I am not willing to spend that much money on something I should be able to make.  I have done some feather by hand sanding, but I have a lot of feathers to process and am looking for a little bit quicker way to grind the quills down.  Any pictures or instructions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike 

Minuteman

Re: Feather processing jig
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:16:06 pm »
If you could find someone to loan you one you could reverse engineer one from it.
 I know the ones yer talking about , over 100$ if my memory serves me. Too rich for my blood. But I strip my feathers anyway so it doesn't confront me. Only guy I know that has one make arrows for money.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:33:44 pm »
I use a fletching clamp to hold the feather then use a dremel with a sanding drum attachment.
Don't take to long to do a bunch.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:22:15 pm »
A couple thin pieces of wood with a spring clamp is what I use (or more often my fingers). The homemade clamp takes only a few minutes to make, and works good with a dremel or drill press drum.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:55:17 pm »
Thanks to everyone that replied.  I had a brainstorm today and have a jig almost done.  I will post pics when I am finished.

Mike

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 09:45:52 pm »
I've been thinking about using a tater chip bag clamp and running them across the belt sander.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:37:37 am »
I use my JoJan straigt fletch clamp and a belt sander...after I split the quill with a box cutter.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

zLego

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:48:49 am »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 06:05:30 am »
What Pat said.It works great with just a little practice.Before I got a belt sander I just use a fine file and sand paper.I know people that just strip them and that will work,also with a little practice but I don't like fletching them ,they are to flimsy for me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good