Author Topic: brace hight  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: brace hight
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:49 am »
Between 5 1/2 and 6 on most of my bows,short or longer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »
My longer bows are braced 7-7.5 in string to back of bow which just about clears feathers and a little more. You don't want to brace a shorty that much. 5 in like half eye said is tops. I make arrows with shorter fletch for shorties. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 02:48:16 am »
When you look at old Indian photos, low brace height on a short bow usually meant low string tension as well.

Plains Indians didn't care if the feathers made contact with the bow, especially in the North, but most fletchings on Indian arrows were shorter than the brace height.

"Proper" brace height is determined by the specific tradition you are following.  There are several traditions, so you must decide which one you wish to follow before building your bow.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 10:26:14 am »
Yes, and it also really affects arrow flight. I brace at the lowest height at which good flight is achieved. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline anasazi

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:26 am »
Thanks for the info every one i guess we will see how it goes and i will let you all know

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 05:57:52 pm »
tim baker rates tree o heaven as a borderline bow wood s.g. of 50, it's a med density hardwood with simillar physical properties to red oak, here's a link to a bow posted, Bub
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30212.msg399499.html#msg399499
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 01:27:37 am »
The trees around here don't get to be 10" in dia. I don't think. Maybe that might make the difference. I have another stave that I will eventually try. I heated it because it felt as though it would take a ton of set . The one on your link looks as though it took 3-4" if I'm looking at it right. What do you think?Druid 's post looks like a great bow but the wood looks nothing like the stuff I have or the bow in the link. Come on Anasazi, fire one up and let us know what you find.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 02:38:26 am »
i couldn't find the link but somebody posted a molly tree o heaven and it took little set, might have been 1-2 yrs ago, personally i think a flatter back is the ticket with this wood, jmho, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »
Ana, all my bows are shorties.  Lakota style to be exact.  I would recommend 4 1/2.  My fletchings are plains style so they are cut low crop, which doesn't affect my shooting at all.  Currently, I am shooting my 47 NTN plains style "D" bow and am drawing it 21 inches.  So you should be able to draw it 20 inches.  I find that if my brace is a little under five inches I can squeeze an inch or so more.  Six iches puts a lot of stress on them limbs and in that case may cause stacking early on.

Offline anasazi

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 11:09:38 pm »
With such a low brace hight does the string ever hit the back of your hand or wrist when you shoot?

Hey thanks every one for your help and info i do really appreciate it