Author Topic: finding knappable stone?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
finding knappable stone?
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:00:53 pm »
Hey guys Im trying to get into the whole knapping deal and I was wondering where good places to start looking for material would be(riverbed/sidehill/ridges etc)? I am in the western ND area and it seems everything is clay haha. I know there is supposed to be knife river flint around, but Im not exactly sure where I should be looking for some.  I know I can use glass also. Any help or pointing into the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline TRACY

Re: finding knappable stone?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
Dave, I would contact a local geologist to point you in the right direction for that knife river. The little I've used, it is great stuff. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline RickB

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:56:00 pm »
My brother lives in eastern ND but works in the western part of the state. A couple years ago he sent me some slick, heavy, chocolate brown rock that I made some nice points from - turned out to be Rainy Buttes petrified wood/chert which has a high iron content. I don't know exactly where he found it, but if he gets back that way he is going to pick some more of it up for me. If you do get in touch with a local geologist or a local rock club they may be able to direct you to an area where you could find some. Good luck, Rick B.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:30 am »
Thanks for the help fellas. I plan on meeting with a geologist in the near future and starting to break some rocks!