Author Topic: raccoon  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Blacktail

Re: raccoon
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:02:33 am »
that is great.then you know all about the western bow wood...i used to live in western WA in a small town called Eatonville...that is where my moms side of the family grew up. they all live around Oly now...later john

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 12:40:12 am »
Good job killing that thing and the skull looks great.  I like the arrow in it.  You might want to use peroxide to whiten skulls in the future.  Bleach will  get them white but it is harmfull to the bone. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:39:18 am »
thanks for the tip osage, deffinitly will use peroxide in the future

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 09:53:32 am »
Beauy supply stores sell the stronger peroxide.  40 volume is a good strength.  Keep it at least room temperature when you soak it.  Peroxide doesn't work very well when it's cold. 

I enjoy seeing your hunting pictures.  Makes my little patch of woods behind the house seem kind of pathetic.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline agd68

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 10:24:48 am »
That headshot is mighty humane and quick.  Wow.

I hope that's sarcasim. The only shot worse than ahead shot with an arrow is a gut shot.

I beg to differ; The last two hogs I shot in the forehead turned belly up and didn't even kick. One broadhead was buried down in the chest cavity.

sorry but you got lucky. Been instructing bow hunting  courses and working with our Natural Resources up here for over 10 years, every year DNR has to go put  animals down that someone has shot in the head with an arrow. Not to say an arrow in the head will not kill but most of the time they dont. Arrows have very little shock when they hit. They kill buy causing massive bleeding. Unless put in just the right spot there is very little bleeding from a brain injury. A bullets shock turns a brain to mush. Does not make for good media when photos of animals show up in local papers with an arrow in it's head.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh