Offline Swamp Thang

Re: D bow?
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 06:25:13 am »
sweeeet
Thanks I :laugh: loved the process about to start another one

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:19 am »
Basic rule of thumb....Minimum bow length is draw length X 2 for a bendy handle.  So a 58 inch bendy handle bow can go to 29 inches.  Safer imo to add 10 percent to that...so that 58 inch bow can be drawn to 26 inches (26 X 2 = 52 + 5.8 inches (10 percent) = 58 inches).  So cutting an inch off is not advised if you are shooting for anymore than 26 inch draw.  It looks to me as though your tips are working.  Flipping them a bit is fine. May induce set depending on draw length and quality of the tiller.  Give it a try. A bit of reflex will increase the draw weight, but it will increase the strain on it as well.  Its just sliver so give her a try.

If I flip the tips should I slightly thin them?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:13 am »
I typically leave my tips stiff, so they are static and non-bending.  Reflexing bending tips and getting them to hold the bend is tricky.  It wants to pull that bend out and return to straight.  I would have them flex a little at most.  That means draw a line on the belly at 4-5 inches from the tips and leave everything beyond it alone as you tiller.  I dont know how much wood you have left to remove???  If very little then the tips are about what they will be bend wise, right now.  That is the reason I said "try it" earlier.  I have had little success on working recurves, they just pull out over time.  So leave them as thick as you can right now.  You can always thin them up at the end.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
Hhmmmm....haven't taken anymore off I'll leave them and set a good bend. On the issue of adding a few pounds.....what about a boo backing? Not sure if it would fit this style. If I did I want to try a concept I've been thinking off not sure if it's a good idea but when applying the bamboo use fish glue seal it and at the nods secure with sinew with a serving style wrap. As it's humid and wet a lot to help curb it from seperating.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2016, 11:22:45 am »
I'm a self bow guy, with a few sinew backed ride alongs over the years.  Hard backings are something I don't have enough experience on to be of much help so let someone else answer those questions.  I will say this, self bows are an art in and of themselves and they are, when made well, complete without any backing.  My advice to folks is usually the same, get the bow making basics down pat first, then add to those skills all of the various tangential skills like backings of different types.  The foundation of this craft is the ability to get that wood to bending where and how you want it, without it breaking or breaking down. Beyond that, if it IS bending where and how you want it, was that the right call for this particular bow?? Once you have gotten your head around those things, and become competent at them, all kinds of directions you can go.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2016, 12:28:09 pm »
Sounds good!!! :D

Just trying to get the tiller perfect ended up felling kinda light....but then again I am used to stringing and shooting an 80lb recurve so it might be somewhere CLOSER to what I was aiming for guess I should weigh it first  :laugh:

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:24 pm »
Heat treating the belly nothing fancy as a temp gun how hot it to hot. Other than the obvious charing

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 08:29:26 pm »
I have found that with my gun, I set the dial at 8 of 10.  Thats glowing red near the tip.  Then I heat the section of the limb I am tempering by moving it swiftly in a sweeping motion along the limb until it is evenly hot over a 12 inch or so section.  Then I start at the handle an inch or so above the belly and point the tip toward the tips.  That way I am pushing the heat out in front of the area I'm working.  I let it start to smoke and turn brown and slowly move down the limb as it cooks.  I have gotten the limb too hot and burned too deep, so I stay close with the gun so that I don't linger in one place.  It's kind of a feel thing and that's the best way I can describe it.  I would rather err on the side of not deep enough and hit it again as I tiller than burn one clean thru (obviously).  I am working tonight on a short Persimmon bow and I have tempered it once.  I will temper again as I scraped all the charring off tonight while tillering.
Let me also say that this is how I have been doing it.  Others may do it differently, but this has worked for me.
Maybe Marc will chime in and add his take as he is the authority on this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:37:35 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31:15 am »
Okay looks like the mechanics are almost done came in close to the weight I was shooting for at 18lb @28". I wanted 25lb @ 28" but it's fairly fast for low poundage.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 12:55:52 pm »
New brace pic. Took SLIMBOBs advice and did static recurve tips full draw pic is at 28"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 01:05:39 pm »
Hey man, that looks pretty darn good.  MUCH improved over the first one you posted.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 01:22:32 pm »
Haha yeeaaahhhhh sure hope the have frogs and snakes were the guy getting it lives. it's for the Christmas trade.