Author Topic: Sticks and stones FL deer Killed  (Read 13365 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Sticks and stones FL deer Killed
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:04:21 pm »

Well I got it done early this year. Never killed a deer in FL in September before. It's a whole different ball game than in Montana (which I miss dearly btw). I had to pick a new location to hunt this year because I have been edged out of my old spot by a pushy compounder who doesn't play well with others. you know the kind, who see's where your stand is and has to set his up between yours and the deer's bedding area! I snuck off into a tiny forgotten finger of woods and have concealed my stand and my entry so I can hunt un-obsructed. I got in my 12 ft high latter stand at 5pm and literally 5 minutes later some kids come walking through the woods..lol I called out quietly " Hey kids, this is private land and in hunting season. best to stay on the other side of the fence please." they apologized and I continued to hunt since it was early. About an hour later I noticed a deer far out in front of me. I watch this one and two more does browsing a zig zag my direction. after a grueling 15 minutes of having to watch them from afar, This one was first to cross onto my side of the fence and she headed straight towards my stand. She was to my right (I'm a right handed shooter) and this posed a problem so every time her head went down, I inched around until I faced the tree and could get a shot. Finally I was turned, she was broadside at 8 yards. I took out both lungs with my Stone tipped cane arrow and she ran only 30-40 yards before falling over within sight. I got a complete pass through, arrow sticking in the dirt covered in blood where she stood. The point was a 75ish grain Cahokia style stone point I knapped from a flake of Heat Treated Florida Chert. The cane arrow was roughly 550 grains and the bow is my recently made Hackberry bow. about 63# at my shortened draw length. She might be a little one, but I will be eating well while it lasts. Forgive me if I don't tell me "competitor" (as he calls himself) about my secret lil spot. ;-) I'm afraid it wouldn't be so secret anymore! - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Jeremy Holden

Re: Sticks and stones FL deer Killed
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:39:15 pm »
Well, I would have been so upset with the circumstances surrounding your hunting season that I 'm sure it wold have affected my mental hunting experience.  It seems you made some good lemonade with the lemons.  Nice job adapting and overcoming.  And good call to just let thing's go with your competition.  Good hunting the rest of your season.

-Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »
Thanks Jeremy, I definitely had some mental issues this week dealing with it.  eventually had to come to terms with the fact that I cannot do anything about him and I needed to worry about what i was doing and not what he was doing!  Now that I at least got one, I feel much better and can probably move on with the rest of my season knowing he couldn't keep me down
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

youngbowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »
that's a nice doe! Did you move away from Montana?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:41:09 pm »
Great job Ryan!  Those little ones eat better than the big mossy horned ones anyway! ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:41 pm »
shoot yeah they are better!  I always get so excited around dinner time when i know im eating some tender steaks.

yeah, moved back to FL.  Kinda sore about it too.  but im making the best of it..... stinkin' family..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
Nice deer Ryan! Its always nice to get some blood on a new bow. I would love to be out chasin whitetails right now but our season doesnt open for a few more days. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:57:21 pm »
You know, it's just a dang shame you had to make lemons with that poor second string whitewood.  How about you send me that bow and I will round up some osage to send you.   >:D

I prefer a glass of inky dark Malbec with my venison, but if you like lemonade, I say go for it!  That's a pretty doe, for sure.  She's gonna look great posed next to the taters and gravy.  Thanks for posting, Ryan.  Nice work, and a wonderfully ethical harvest. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:20 am »
You really get things done...as far as hunting and getting a 2012 picture board!! LOL   

Nice job!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:17:39 am »
Nice job Ryan,mighty fine Doe. Looks like that rock done the job.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »
congrats,  but you're making me hungry.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »
Sounds like you handled your situation with a lot of class Ryan. Great deer with awesome equipment.Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline LANE77

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 12:48:14 am »
Nice shot, should be some great eating. Bow  season opens this weekend here.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 01:32:35 am »
Congrats Ryan.  You went from lemons to lemonade and finished with a great whiskey sour (keeping the lemon trend going). 

I like the looks of you quiver.  More pics please.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Will H

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 11:01:32 am »
Nicely done!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"