Author Topic: Sinew backing? How fine do you shred yours?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Sinew backing? How fine do you shred yours?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 01:39:27 am »
Pat I appreciate your input and understand what you're referring to with the twist and what might be waste. Who is James?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:48:58 am »
James Parker(Robustus). He posted earlier. James has made many Asiatic horn bows and builds them the way they were built originally, using the same materials or a close proximity as the originals...and he is as generous with his knowledge as the day is long.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 02:19:05 am »
Thanks again Pat. I haven't been here that long and sometimes the questions get answered with conflicting testimonials. And now I know who James is. Actually I've known about James for quite some time but never connected the name and the face if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the input James!

I'm still going to attempt this endeavor and may even put the back sinew on wet directly from the locker before it has time to completely dry out and shrink.

You guys can be the judge and jury on this one and I am open to criticism and advice, especially advice.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 02:27:03 am »
sinew must be prepared before using on composite bows,, i have used leg and back sinew, the leg sinew will always be softer after preping, although the leg tendons will work , it is much more coarse, and takes more time and a little different  technique for it to end up the same way after application,, as far as laying down a whole sheet of backstrap sinew,it just wont work,first you will have to remove the mylar sheathing from the outside of the sinew,, this can only be done after the sinew has dried( the thin see through membrane you see while your working the sinew down to size),even if you could get all the membrane off the sinew without disrupting the sinew strand, when you dipped the sinew in your glue it would only be on each side of the piece,and would not be sufficient to hold everything together,, this is why you have to break the sinew down,so when it is dipped in glue ,everything will bond and become one whole homogenous entity, Adam Karpowicz book   Ottoman Turkish bows is a must read,, also he can explain this in a more sientifical manner,, fred you did ask a legitimate question hope this will shed some light,,,,,,,,,,,, james

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 09:29:04 am »
Thats another good point and I have wondered about...
When you see a drieD leg sinew, it has that transluscent appearance (mylar)....once you pound that tendon down, that semi-transparent look disappears and turns white from the seperation I assume...
Do you need to remove any of this outer membrane and only use the ropey strands inside or is it the same stuff a sinside and to be used as such once shredded? Looks to be rather difficult to seperate the two areas when I pull the cords apart.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:09:32 pm by Easternarcher »