Author Topic: Here's one for you Fred. "Wood 101"  (Read 5788 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: Here's one for you Fred. "Wood 101"
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:07:12 am »
how do you put the caption next to  the pics? It was pretty late when I was trying to do it and didn't have the ambition to figure it out.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:43 am »
I add my pics to the post. In other words, type what you want to say about the pic, then, insert the pic below the text.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »
Thanks ,Ill try that next time.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 07:11:43 am »
Nice write up, lgostarrow. Proper rain choice is vital for success. In plain sawn and rift sawn boards, one can  look at the face and one needs straight grain tip to tip as the ideal. All of this depends on the weight one wants though. I allow a couple of run outs per limb for 50-55#. 1.5 in wide out to mid limb. 1 3/8 for 45-50#.  I only make bend in the handle board bows. No glued on handles. No narrowing. Not a favored design these days. The trend seems to be geared towards making selfbows look like FG bows these days.  Quarter sawn is not my favorite. Look at the edge grain. It has to be straight. No run outs allowed at all. Truth be told I look at the edge grain on all boards and just check the face to make sure the board is milled straight. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 11:32:26 am »
Just trying to help out here George. These guys have determination! I don't like to see people get discouraged because of lack of info .That's what makes this site so great. If you don't start with the basics you are going to take a lot longer to learn, if you do at all. Saves a ton of mistakes and takes the mystery out of them when they happen. As for the narrow handles ,they have been around allot longer than you or I, but I know what you mean about that FG look that can be hard to shake if that's what you  have always known to be a bow. I personally like my bows to be close to center shot  so they are less critical with arrow spine. That way I can change up the weight of the arrow points without drastically altering groups (Broadheads, fieldpoint,blunt etc) Also ,if an arrow breaks just behind the point while stump shooting ,I can still use the arrow at a slightly shorter length and it shoots the same as the longer ones. I started to model the board bows after a 1950's all wood American longbow that I picked up in an antique store and modified to get better performance, thus the narrow shelf cut into the side. I also find it easier to teach newbies how to shoot if they don't have to worry as much about where to place the arrow . I tie a leather  lace around the handle with a tag end left long . the tag sticks up just above the index finger and gently holds the arrow without impeding  it's release.I always make sure not to cut out more from the side than can be accounted for by extra thickness. Not liking the glued up handles ,personally . Just tried one on an ash 60# 'er and after shooting it in I'm looking at it and wondering how I'm going to gracefully blend the whole thing together  so it doesn't look like a FG one ( Bulky at the fades). Also drew up a sketch for rift sawn but my camera died before I could post. I'll add more as well with pics of potential problems that can be read from the grain.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:37:02 am by lostarrow »

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »
Thanx for making this post it's  great info I think that should sticky it once your done modifing it
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline k-hat

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 02:29:25 pm »
Maybe you should change your tag from "lostarrow" to "wood whisperer"!!  Very well done.  This should be stuck somewhere up top as a sticky topic or whatever they call those things :)

Offline StevenT

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 03:50:55 pm »
Great info! This is one post worth keeping track of. Thanks.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »
lostarrow, sure narrowed handles are ok. I just think that beginners should not worry about that until they have a bow or 2 or 3 done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 10:59:17 pm »
lostarrow, sure narrowed handles are ok. I just think that beginners should not worry about that until they have a bow or 2 or 3 done. Jawge

My first dozen or so were all narrow handled with fadeouts.  I still find a bend-thru-the-handle to be a real struggle!  I've been making more of them simply because they are harder for me.  They make me learn good tillering techniques because there is nothing to hide your flaws.  Jawge, as usual, makes a good point!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 11:09:55 pm »
I hear ya George.Especially if you don't really know how wood  works and it's characteristics. I've spent my life learning these things and now I can apply it to my latest obsession.Start simple and over built and whittle the excess down from there. Maybe we should post the exact dimensions of a good reliable "failproof" design for a bow for beginners with a build along. Sort of a " if this one doesn't work, try it again until it does........because it doesn't get any easier". Nothing fancy ,maybe a pyramid or flat bow. Minimal time and cost  with limited tools. Lets see what we get from the Experts. I know you've got one in mind already. You beat me to my post J.W.!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »
And I, too, believe this thread should be a sticky.  Heck, make it required reading for the website!  I really appreciated all the effort put into it and will be referring back to it in the future.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:19 am »
quoteMaybe you should change your tag from "lostarrow" to "wood whisperer"!!  Very well done.  This should be stuck somewhere up top as a sticky topic or whatever they call those things

People look at me funny when they see me talking  to wood! Sometimes it's more "cursing" than" sweet nothings ", and a little too loud to be considered a whisper.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:26:30 am by lostarrow »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »
quoteMaybe you should change your tag from "lostarrow" to "wood whisperer"!!  Very well done.  This should be stuck somewhere up top as a sticky topic or whatever they call those things

People look at me funny when they see me talking  to wood! Sometimes it's more "cursing" than" sweet nothings ", and a little too loud to be considered a whisper.

To quote my father "Shut up and listen".

The wood will tell ya what it wants to be !!
Thanks for taking the time and effert to do this post !
Good job !!

Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 11:44:51 am »
I agree totally. I don't like the term woodworker. I work WITH wood!