Author Topic: "Almost religious" experience today  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Guessed

"Almost religious" experience today
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:00:08 am »
Yes I see the 'no religion' thing lol.

Anyway, earlier today I was walking around in the bush looking for some partridge for some "parts" for my eventual arrows, I found none. After a couple hours I gave up and walked to a nearby marina/gas station. I knew where I was walking there's 3 or 4 deer that are always around that area. On the way there I stopped and looked around the bush but they weren't around, I found a big flattened out spot in the tall grass though, that must be where they rest.

I went to the store and bought some pop and chips and on the way back there they were, 3 deer munching on leaves about 100 feet away, they were near a bend in the road. The tips of my 2 arrows were only tips for target practice, not sharp "broadheads" plus they were all dented.

I put my pop and chips down and one of them saw me, I had 3 sharp tips left in my pocket, I changed them while the deer looked at me. It took me about 15 minutes to slowly sneak up on them, I got about 20 feet away. As big as they were I could see they were young deer, a doe and 2 little bucks who only had little spikes on their heads. I debated whether or not to take a shot considering how close I was. 

I ended up just sitting down on the ground, right out in the open. The doe took some steps toward me and started eating again. The wind was blowing super hard and she walked right up to me about 10 feet away, I sat perfectly still. Many times she turned to the side which would have given me the perfect shot.

I looked at the bucks and the doe and figured in "deer years" they were only just teens. Then I thought in "deer life" they were probably bf and gf and a friend who were just out for a walk lol. Still the wind was blowing, I was downwind. Thinking about their lives I decided not to shoot, I just sat there on the ground for about half an hour just watching them. They looked happy, munching away.

It seems weird but it was a very peaceful feeling, I almost saw them as a gift. It just me, my bow, 2 arrows and 3 deer out on some back road. Even the bucks walked up and were 15 feet away.

I've "taken" many deer, moose, ducks and partridge before (with guns) but I just couldn't do it. I knew if I did it that I would be doing it for the wrong reasons, I felt like a would have killed a little piece of my soul.

Maybe in a couple years when the bucks are bigger...

edit: yeah that experience put me in a strange mood for the rest of the day, i was glad to be alive and i saw them as people or a family, not animals
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:08:05 am by Guessed »

Offline lostarrow

Re: "Almost religious" experience today
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:41:01 am »
This is the "religion " that many of us follow.I don't see where anyone should have a problem with this post.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:17:05 am »
Yep getting up close and personal gives you a new appreciation of life.Like watching a loved one die on the death bed,or your favorite hound die of old age.You never forget that either.I've never been in the service but can only imagine what it's like to kill another human being.I guess it's a respect for life that sets a person back to reality.I don't think it has anything to do with religon.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:59 am »
Sounds like a moving experience and to each their own but I try really hard not to look at animals as people,it messes the whole order of things as to what we are here for and what they are here for.Nice story. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Patches

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:13:15 pm »
I am a firm believer in the idea that a quality hunt doesn't mean that something has to die.  I am a meat eater, and kill most of the meat I eat, but some of my favorite expereinces are when the animals never realize I am there and they just go about their lives, and I am lucky enough to be there to watch.       
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:38:58 pm »
Too many people give animals the same rights as people.That is where they run into problems of them running their life.I was raised on a farm and that's all I pretty much know.I feel lucky.Butchered many hogs,chickens,ducks,etc.Seeing animals die is a part of life.We are here to take care of the animals,to give order.Nothing wrong with feeling bad one dies if you were attached to it.Respect for life.Nothing to do with relgion.I've taken many a young kid with me coonhunting and the first thing they say is is the dog treed and where's the coon.Wanting to kill it of course.Blood thirsty youth.Hard to get accross to them it's all about the race,tree and the dog.Age helps to put respect in people if they want to grow up anyway.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »
I know what you mean about not wanting to shoot sometimes.  I was after rabbits for awhile and was always in the wrong place at the right time, then I stumbled into one at about 3 yards.  It just sat there.  I couldn't bring myself to shoot it.  It was too easy.  Sure, I'd have gotten a rabbit, but it felt like cheating.  I wouldn't judge someone for taking that shot, but it just felt wrong to me at the time.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:36:38 pm »
I understand.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:43:54 pm »
Days like that get me through the rough stuff, congrats and thanks for sharing. Talked to a little sub-legal yearling bear for about 30 seconds last year at 30 yards.  Jazzed me for a week. :
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA