Author Topic: can't hit nothin  (Read 6734 times)

Offline JustJake

can't hit nothin
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »
Hi,
I have been shooting/hunting with a recurve for many years now.  While I love it, I can not seem to get consistant with my shooting.  I am almost always on target left and right, but am constantly shooting over the back of the target(or deer).  I am getting frustrated to the point of not enjoying it anymore.  I am a self taught shooter and was hoping their might be a club or individual in the south east Wisconsin area (Madison to Milwaukee) that I could get together with to do some shooting and maybe get me pointed in the right direction. (No pun intended).  I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. 

Thanks, Jake   

Offline Newindian

Re: can't hit nothin
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:54:27 pm »
A lot of that is probably form but we can't tell with out seeing, there are twelve thousand little things that come out to a big difference, for the most part just try to do the Same thing every time you shoot. As for when your hunting and " shooting over deer" , a deer will crouch down when it hears the sound of a bow shot try to aim where they will be
I like free stuff.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:12:24 am »
JJ  hang in there   what is  your set up  arrows tip weight?  Give us the numbers, just to see that the  tackle is close, then lets talk  shot sequence kinda like a big league pitcher?  Are you split finger  or three under?  Next and  this will  cause a bunch of debate  ,,,,lets  tape  a temporary sitght pin to the bow!   Just   remember in  the  sixtys lots of  hunters  had sight pins  before  they knew  they were suposed to be trad!! And  all  those  trad  vintage bows on  flea-bay  got those sight pin  holes  drilled in them long  before they  were trad!  We'll figure this out!   JeffW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:48 am »
If you are consistantly shooting over deers backs the problem is you are looking at the deer and not picking a spot. It is a very common problem. I missed the first 9 deer I shot at and every one was over the back. Concentrate on the exact spot that you want the arrow to go and it will.
  I could drill targets all day long but when it comes to shooting a live animal it all changes. You have to train yourself to concentrate on that spot and forget about the deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59:44 am »
""but am constantly shooting over the back of the target(or deer). ""
??  over the back of targets?  or over back of just deer?

aim point...? sometimes people move their aimpoint with their eyes, but not the bow
pull up the bow then look to aim,but not adjust? jus guessing here as said cl be one of a 1000 things.. nock point ..aim ...weight...
if yer consistant, thats good! easier to fix!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:28:40 pm »
Another tool in our modern box.   Use youtube.   Video yourself shooting.   Dont need to see the target.    Just you.  All four angles.    A few arrows from each perspective.   Shoot like you do......dont change snything for camera.   

Close view from hips to top of head or bow limb would be good.   

Im sure we could make some progress from ther.   Id be happy to look....just link your vid here
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline JustJake

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:02 pm »
Thanks for the responses.

I shoot my grandpa's Ben Pearson 58" bow with 55# draw weight and 28" draw length.  I use 100gr field points and broadheads.  I tried the two blade broad heads, but have better results with the three blade type.  I use the leather fingers with my index finger above and my middle and ring finger below.  I always place the knuckle of my bent thumb in the pocket behind my earlobe.
    As for the deer or target question it is both.  Although really just the target as I have not actually hunted for the last several seasons.  Nothing is worse than wounding an animal and I have not had the confidence in my shooting ability to head out into the woods.  Actually, after typing that I thought about it and when I've missed deer it was both above and below.  Favoring the above though.
    Thanks for the offer of studying film, but I'm afraid that's a little beyond me.  (And I would need a camera.)
Again, thank you for the feed back, and the encouragement.

Jake

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »
Fair enough.
   Ever played with changing your anchor point?   Might be worth trying sticking your middle finger tip in the corner of your mouth.  Puts the nock right under your nose every time without thinking about it.

Another good training aid is a clicker......makes sure you hit full draw every time instead of shott drawing for some shits and not for others.    When you do it right every time take the clicker off and go hunt!

Offline JustJake

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:08:30 pm »
Actually, I read a couple of other threads last night and saw several mentions of fingers in the corner of the mouth.  I just got done trying that and it might hold some promise.  Hard to tell after one try though.  I caught myself reverting back to my original anchor several times.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:56:54 am »
Just takes repitition.  Not a cure all but the simple act of concentrating on a new anchor can make othe changes in your form that might help without even realizing it.

Dont overlook the clicker either.    I have seen a few people be helped by them.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:12 pm »
.makes sure you hit full draw every time instead of shott drawing for some shits and not for others.   
im sorry but that made me laugh
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline JustJake

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:58 pm »
whats a clicker?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »
A clicker is an aid to ensure you draw the same length every time.  Every olympic recurve shooter uses one.  It can help if you short draw or are inconsistent in how far you draw your arrows.  3Rivers has one called the "Clickity Click" if I recall correctly.  In this case I doubt that's the problem.  Most shooters have this problem as they're learning.  This is a close range sport and a lot of people expect to shoot great at 20 yards right off the bat but that takes time.  Shoot lots of arrows at close targets (ie. 7 yards) until you're sure you can't miss.  Move out a couple yards and try again.  When you have trouble move back to close shots.  Eventually you'll hone your style and be able to shoot further but as you're learning it shouldn't stop you from hunting, just from taking long shots.  As Pat said, most deer are shot over because of lack of concentration on a small spot.  I try to envision the beating heart and shoot at that.  Crude...but effective.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »
if you think about it.... if you cant hit nothing, you can hit something  ;D ::) ;)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »
Hahaha.  I love misspells on touch screen phones.   Always a laugh in them